Friday 24 April 2015

More Pictures From The Algarve & Seville.

 Ice plants growing wild on a cliff top path in the Algarve,
Ants making a nest on the cliff top path.
A dream villa and wonderful garden.  We have Oesteosperrnums growing in our garden in West Cork.

They be pirates!

Oranges growing on the trees in Seville. 

Red roses in flower in Seville in April.

The world famous Seville bull ring.  It holds 14000 spectators.  I wondered if Hemingway had stood where I was?

 Eiffel bridge in Seville.  He also designed a tower in Paris similar to the one in Blackpool and the Meccano set that is the statue of Liberty in New York.
Faro marina.

Yet another cheap flight landing at Faro airport.








Bone chapel in a little village called Alcantarila on the Algarve.  I found it on the internet and we we found the village a few miles off the tourist path in the Algarve.  It was only like the size of a living room and contains the bones of 1,500 parishioners.  It wasn't gruesome at all.  More awesome and incredible than anything!



10 comments:

  1. Great photos Dave. I like the Eiffel Bridge.and the bull ring. Thinking of Hemingway makes me think of him and James Joyce in Paris! I wonder if he visited Seville. Wat a great city. I would like to visit one day. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Rachel. I am sure Hemingway visited Seville. Have you seen Midnight In Paris? Seville is beautiful. Well worth a visit. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had fun. I have always wanted to see one of the bone churches, morbid fascination I suppose. I think I'll add Seville to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsty. We love visitng different parts of Europe. Never been to Spain before. Wonderful architecture and fantastic weather and Seville is not expensive to eat out. Lots of Tapas bars serving meals for ten Euros or less and we sampled the Sangria too.

      The bone chapel was remarkably beautiful. A work of art. It wasn't morbid at all. Well worth a visit off the tourist path. In a real authentic Portuguese village. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. It might be the same in Portugal as in Spain Dave, you only rent a grave or a hole in the wall for a certain number of years then the bones have to be removed and placed in an Ossuary. The grave is then reused. Up until recently it would be the relatives of the deceased that had to remove the bones, now they have a employed person to do the job. I'm sure there is a proper word for them but I don't know what it is, bone collector maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne. Thanks for telling us about the bones. I always enjoy your Spanish anecdotes. I would love to live in Portugal but I bet it gets too hot in summer. It would be good to go there for the winter months. Think I would miss the cattle though. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Isn't it just John. When I win the lottery that house is mine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have thought that a bone chapel would be a horrid place to visit, but as I looked at your photos I came to the conclusion that since the bones were from local people that it would actually be quite a calm place, and although we are not likely to ever visit such a place, it was nice to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vera. I thought the same before I visited the bone chapel. But it wasn't gruesome at all. It's was like a sculpture or work of art. An incredible sight and very moving. Thanks Vera!

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...