Monday 16 May 2016

Enjoying Our Smallholding Flowers.


The weather's been pretty good for the last week.  The hedges and grass are growing like mad and there areolenty of cottage perennial plants coming into flower.  Below in the wall border there are Forget-Me-Nots, Arum Lily's and Aquilegia "Grandma's Bonnets' showing off all their splendour and Array.

The Arum Lilies should have been out around Easter, but they are very late this year.  I love the Folklore connected to so many of our plants names.  Apparently there was an English knight walking by the side of this river (like you do) in full armour carrying a massive posey of forget me nots and they caused him to fall in.  He started to drown and handed over the flowers and said: "Forget me not!"



That's a terracotta ("real plastic") containing 'London Pride' or Saxifrage, "St Patrick's Cabbages." They are said to be the first plants to re-colonize the bomb sites after the blitz.  

10 comments:

  1. Granny's bonnets.....our garden is nose to nipple with em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound wonderful John. The Arum Lilies and Aquilegia were planted when my grandmother was alive over forty years ago. It's good to know our plants and trees out live us all. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. They sound wonderful John. The Arum Lilies and Aquilegia were planted when my grandmother was alive over forty years ago. It's good to know our plants and trees out live us all. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. They sound wonderful John. The Arum Lilies and Aquilegia were planted when my grandmother was alive over forty years ago. It's good to know our plants and trees out live us all. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Its great seeing all the flowers come out in the garden ours is filling up nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love informal cottage gardens Dawn. The darling buds of May. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I love your garden's flowers. I love forget-me-nots and London Pride. Thanks Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. The flowers in the garden and hedgerows always cheer me up. I must visit a big garden estate open to the public. The Rhododendrons are always magnificent at this time of year in Ireland.

      Delete
  4. It's lovely to see all the spring flowers, or should that be early summer? Our Arum lilies got frost bite so it will be another month I guess before they flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne. I think we had summer last week. It's was horrible and wet here yesterday. Hoping for a good summer this year. Thanks!

      Delete

Bank Holiday Carboot Antiques Hunt.

 It's a Bank Holiday here in Ireland giving everyone a day off after Saint Patrick's Day. The weather forecast was not good but we s...