Saturday 23 June 2018

Doolin Folk Festival Part Three.

Here's my final post about Doolin Folk festival for your perusal.



 Irish Stew or Police man/woman's favourite: "I arrest you!"  Old joke.  I went to the bar and said to the barman that I would like to pay for two Irish stews.  He asked me: "If I was hungry?"  Then we laughed and  I said that I hadn't ate them both.

Poster from the festival.

The Atlantic.  You can see Crab island on the right of the picture with the remains of an old lighthouse.  If only the folk festival had been this weekend.  Its glorious weather here again.  Its the best weather I remember in Ireland since 2003 when we built our bungalow.  

Here's two videos for you.  I saw them both at Doolin Folk Festival.





Muireann is from county Kerry.  She reminds me of Clannad.  I have seen them twice in Manchester.  Muireann should be really famous.  She was excellent.  I often wonder why some musicians and performers never become really famous.   

This is Dr Mind flip.  Who we saw upstairs on the White Horse Stage.  They reminded me of Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa.  Brilliant musicians with a natural gift of self deprecation, humour and some excellent music.  This band deserve to be really big.  Even famous!  The lead singer even wore a white coat.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Dave. I love the photograph of the Atlantic, the weather makes it look very dramatic. I heard Ned Sherrin on the radio and he asked the same about why some musicians become famous and some don't and he said he knew loads of people better than him who never made it and he felt bad about it and didn't understand. I suppose it is just being in the right place at the right time. I liked him more after I heard him say that. He was very modest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel. I echo what Ned Sherrin said about why some musicians never make it really big. I suppose Folk music is like a vocation or blog writing. You do it because you need to do so. Thanks!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I meant Ed Sheeran but you knew that!

      Delete
  3. It doesnt matter who said it Rachel. I think its so true. Some times a singers face or voice doesn't fit and never make it. I could mention lots of singers who have made it big and can't understand why. Writing and painting and sculpting are the same. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shane Fenton became Alvin Stardust became famous. Maybe a name helps?

      Delete
    2. Robert Zimmerman became Bob Dylan Gwil. I think youre right a name helps.

      Delete
  4. Love that Irish song. So haunting. Classic Irish?
    Wouldn't have minded a bit of that real Irish stew as well. Were having moussaka today. I'd rather have your stew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. Glad you like the song. The stew cost eleven Euros and fifty Cents. It had celery in it and mashed potatoes underneath. It was very filling. But just the ticket on a wild and wet camping weekend in county Clare. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...