Thursday 6 May 2021

A Self Watering Greenhouse For Free.


Do you like my new greenhouse? 'Portugal'  my polytunnel is full to the brim with plants.  So I decided to make a new greenhouse for free or "nowt" or "nuffink".  It reminds me of how I use to propagate plants when I didn't have my polytunnel friend.

J  had gone shopping and I had run out of potting compost and I remembered I had a pile of well rotted fym which resembles soil.  It's also got a few stones in it.

Regular readers will know people collect plastic plant pots for me.  It's also stopping the plant pots ending up in the landfill sites.  So I half filled some plant pots with my homemade potting fym/soil  and split some of my perennials.  Then I topped them up.

You can see them in the picture above.  They look like they need a drink.  Don't we all.  Is it "tish" time yet? You know it is when you open a can of beer and it goes "tish".

You don't need a greenhouse or polytunnel to propagate new plants.  You can have an imaginary one for free like mine!




14 comments:

  1. That greenhouse will be OK until the next frost.
    No, it's too early for "tish" time...even for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 25 degrees in 'Portugal' my polytunnel this afternoon JayCee. The showers start tomorrow. So I won't need to water the plants in the 'new' greenhouse. I wouldn't mind some Sangria and sit out looking over at the bay. Cheers🍷.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Imaginary Polytunnel" by Dave Northsider sounds like a new children's book. Hell, if Princess Meghan can publish a children's book then so can Dave Northsider! His follow up books might be "The Magic Ring Pull" and "JayCee and The Australian Cage Fighter".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book titles YP. What About "The Emperor's Gardeners New Clothes/Greenhouse"?

    The blog post is a reminder to myself especially that you don't need to spend lots of money to make new plants. Old Mother Nature has been making them for free for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should see my imaginary garden! It's beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A virtual garden? I bet some software company has already invented it. Imagine a garden with no weeds or predators and it sunshines every day and it rains at night. I think I have just reinvented the garden of Eden. Thanks Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Point number 1: I was puzzled by 'fym'. So as usual, I googled it. Suggestion: do not Google fym.

    Have you thought of building mini greenhouses from windows leaned against the foundation of the house or an out building.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will take your advice on that one Debby. I have posted a blog on here when I made an homemade cold frame out of loose bricks, timber and an old shower surround. I once knew someone who made an homemade polytunnel and I have a polythene cloche. I think I I need another polytunnel. Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Given the quantity of plants you're showing us, I would agree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I am a plantaholic Debby.😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are worse habits to have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bahaaaaa...nope...you just keep writing, Mr!

    ReplyDelete

Bank Holiday Carboot Antiques Hunt.

 It's a Bank Holiday here in Ireland giving everyone a day off after Saint Patrick's Day. The weather forecast was not good but we s...