Sunday 17 October 2021

Some Old Ironstone Willow Pattern Meat Plates From Another Carboot Sale.

 I have not thought of much to blog about the last seven days.   Then I remembered purchasing two

 Willow pattern meat places a few weeks ago:  

They were made by Staffordshire and Derbyshire potteries.  One of then is stamped Ironstone.  These were made around 1830 to cope with the demand for willow pattern plates from China and other parts of the Orient.  

Potters in Staffordshire realised the land was very heavy with clay which wasn't  particularly good for farming but excellent for crockery.  

The two plates are meat plates suitable for big birds like Turkey roasts.  I will probably get plate wires for them and hang them on the walls.  I love Japanese and Chinese Tea houses and their gardens.

It's incredible that they have survived over 100 years old, three or more generations and are still beautiful and could be used to serve the Christmas roast or a traditional Sunday Roast Dinner.






14 comments:

  1. I love these! My gran used hers to spread out slices of home-killed and cured ham for high tea, served with home-made bread cut so thin you could see through it. I cam smell those teas now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to use them for your Christmas feast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my grandmother and my dad's aunts the veg artist. I think my Irish grandmother spent her day making and preparing meals. My returning father was treated like the Prodigal son and we were treated the same. Even when the sun was cracking the paving flags. Lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JayCee. They would make good collection plates in your new church house JayCee. I will probably keep them and put them on the wall. I might sell them if we ever get round to moving to Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those were a wonderful find. I love the willow pattern. They'll look great on the wall

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great find Uncle Bulgaria... I guess that plates like that were seldom used - only for special occasions. This helped to keep them in very good condition. If they were manufactured in 1830 then they are closer to 200 years old than 100!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Linda. My late mum use to have some very similar large meat plates. It's incredible they are still intact after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. West Cork Wombles at your service Mr Pudding. Yes I think they were kept for 'best' and only brought out of the dresser on special occasions. Yes they started making them around 1830. I think a lot of our Grandmothers had these meat plates and their mothers before them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They'll look great on your wall Dave. I love the willow pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you like them Rachel. They'd go well with your Clarice Cliff,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those plates would go well with my delft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got very good taste Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It probably is not authentic but it is purty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds great. You should write a post about it.

    ReplyDelete

Bank Holiday Carboot Antiques Hunt.

 It's a Bank Holiday here in Ireland giving everyone a day off after Saint Patrick's Day. The weather forecast was not good but we s...