Friday 16 June 2023

Cheap Wad Smallholding Landscape Fabric.

A friend turned up the other day for some of my perennials and asked me if I wanted any "bag manure" fertilizer bags?  

I heard myself saying :  " They'll be alright for bagging up fym, logs and seaweed.  He just complained about the price of granulated fertilizer for his silage fields.  I told him I don't buy nitrogen I wait for it to rain like it's doing today.

Farmers are so stoic and pragmatic and pessimistic  at times and I threw the bags in the old cart house.

Yesterday I wanted some Mypex or landscape fabric for Algarve my new polytunnel.  So I got out my polytunnel scissors and cut along the seam of the fertilizer bag and made some landscape tightwad fabric for myself.

Yes it's not neat but it works as a weed retardant and the water puddles and irrigates the plant pots from below.

Best of all it didn't cost nuffink or nowt!

14 comments:

  1. Reuse and recycle ♻️ Leaves more pocket money for the German beer purveyors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very True. Wish they sold English real ales and Newcastle Brown Ale of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't suppose Monty Don uses old "Goulding" sacks like that but Bob Flowerdew might as he looks like a hippy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob is a Channel 4 gardener not a BBC gardener YP. I like them both and I have read Monty's Jewel Gardener

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew you could grow jewels though I have heard of cultured pearls. They like opera and ballet.

      Delete
  5. Monty and his wife ran a jewellery business before he became a TV gardener. The only hidden treasure I find are my new potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bags would go down a treat at our local stables. They are always looking for more. They fill them, we empty them and take 'em back on the next trip, but suspect not everyone who collects the FYM returns the bags. Our allotment came with a few VERY heavy plastic tarapulins that get used to supress weeds (in desperation), but mostly we use thick layers of grass and straw - also free around us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are very strong bags for fym and seaweed and logs Tigger. I also use them under the plants in pots in the polytunnel. It suppresses the weeds and puddles of water from the watering puddle giving the plants an extra drink. Anything organic like hedge clippings are composted in the muck heap and trenches. Even mouldy old haylage is composted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another inspiration. Job done and for free. My husband would shake your hand, and shout you a beer. A Greek one of course

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep Linda. Job done and for free. Do they have any English or Irish bars in Poros?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the same with some old cotton curtains that were sunfaded. I like that you tend to look at what you have to complete your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to be resourceful Debby and use what we have. They aren't always aesthetic projects but they are functional. I have used old net curtains to cover Brassicas and stop the Cabbage Whites laying their eggs.

      Delete
  11. Good job! I hope you kept a couple aside for filling with fym or seaweed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks River. I have over twenty strong bags left for the seaweed... Some people even give me their old plant pots from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...