Monday 17 July 2023

A Walk That Was Nice As Pie.

In between the bays up on the hills next to a lonesome trig point.

 Neat as apple pie.

I  completed two six mile walks last week on the hills above the two bays where we reside in the Southwest of Ireland. 

On Monday I listened to Spotify music on my mobile phone whilst I walked along the boreens, paths and hills and bog.  I also took some photos.

I never saw a soul.  Well a part from some nosey sheep and some curious cattle who ran off when they saw me carrying my trusty hiking walking stick.  I wasn't going to hit them and there was a sheepwire fence between us anyway.

On Tuesday I decided to walk the same route again and just stopped for a drink of Lucozade and a look at my phone.

My left knee was giving me jip and my big toe nail on my left foot is black and sore when the boot presses on it when walking down hill.  But at least I am keeping fit and using the countryside on our door step.

I got back and wifey had baked an apple pie.  Just the ticket after a rugged walk on the land where my ancestors used to walk long ago.

The rest of the week I have been working and my heel is aching.  I hope it's not old age setting in?  More work this week.  Happy days 

At least I will have money for another roughing it trip in Blighty.  Real 🍺,  walking, public transport, camping and of course the obligatory Rock concert, festival and famous literary haunts.  I'm sixty in December and still love my music and dear old rural Blighty.




14 comments:

  1. Well done on completing those two walks during a period of unsettled weather. I need to get out myself but every day there seem to be showers in the forecast. Jean's pie looks scrumptious. Are the boots too tight? Maybe you need a new pair or alternatively make sure your toe nails are properly trimmed. Jean could sort them out after massaging your legs with aromatic massage oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks YP. I seem to get constant recurring black toe nails. I think it's year of wearing steel toe capped boots and wellingtons? It's a strange strange summer. Scorching in June and downpours in July. Looking forward to Wetherspoon's and some live Rock music. Meat and potato pie for tea tonight. Diesel is getting her new potatoes again. Happy dog days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to enjoy the hills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is GZ. It's even better with another human being. I get bored of my own company at times and listen to music.

      Delete
  4. You are far too young for old age to set in just yet. Eat more home baked apple pie and visit more festivals. That'll sort you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pies and Rock festivals sound like good medicine JayCee.

      Delete
  5. Potatoe pie! I looked up a recipe and that sounds like a nice supper. Thanks. No comment on the 'getting old' business. I'm gimping around on a bad knee myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried a kneew brace? There's nothing like pain.

      Delete
    2. I have a knee brace. It doesn't help. I have a knee replacement in my future. They were waiting for it to go bone on bone. I believe it has happened in the heavy work of the house.

      Delete
    3. Sorry to read you have been in so much pain Debby.

      Delete
  6. The walk looks great and the apple pie delicious. It's been too long since I made a pie. Recurring black toe nails doesn't sound good. Have your feet examined to be sure everything is healthy and perhaps get hiking boots a half size larger and put some padding in the toe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently runners suffer from recurring black nails River. It's the friction of the footwear and the terrain combined. Probably arthritis too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a walk amongst boreens , hills and bogs. Sounds so Irish. the apple pie I would say is international.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful country Linda away from the far and madding crowd.

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...