Tuesday 20 December 2011

Is It Time to Go Back To The Horse And Cart?

I was sat in the car the other day watching all the cars going round the town centre.  The world and his wife seem to have a car today.  I wonder how much carbon monoxide and all the other fumes are damaging our health?  Did you know that there are over 32 million cars in the UK alone?  Do you think there are too many cars on the roads?  How many will there be in twenty years time?

I would love to go to the Ukraine (rural society) or America to see the Amish people riding around in their horses and carts.  There is something noble about the horse.  Eight million horses lost their lives serving their countries during the First World War.

Years ago in the late 1960's (before) the EEC came to Ireland.  I used to go to West Cork to stay on my grandparents farm in West Cork.  We used to pike the hay by hand (pike) onto the cart and take the milk churns to the 'milk stand' by horse and cart.  It was a wonderful and sedate experience and I often wonder why did the horse and cart die out?

No longer do we see the blacksmith or the harness maker or the hay made by hand.  Harry Ferguson designed the 'three point linkage' and his tractor rarely went lame.  Did you know that it was quicker to get round London in 1830 by horse and carriage than it is by car today.  I guess we call it progress - I call it sad.

What do you think readers?  Should we only be allowed one car per household?  Does anybody really care about the environment?

Have a great Christmas readers!

6 comments:

  1. I don't think it died out as much as was replaced by the infernal combustion engine, everything seems to need to be done in such a rush now.

    I can see the day coming, probably not in my lifetime, when the horse makes a return, they only have so much oil, it's gotta run out eventually.

    I remember a few days of heavy snow about 12 years ago when everything ground to a halt, it was like returning to the days before the mad rush, no vehicles, peace and quiet, birds could be heard singing.

    Or is that just nostalgia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Cumbrian for not responding until now. I agree with you. We seem to get nostalgic about steam trains these days. Years ago people thought they polluted everywhere. Some people would drive round the supermarket if they could.

    Thanks Cumbrian!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am carla houston from usa. I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with herpes I though about my children and my husband, I know my children will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found Dr. Alika   contact number. I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Alika   herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Alika and very happy with my hubby and children.if you have any diseases contact dr alika via email on dralikaherbalhome@gmail.com or add him up on  whatsapp +2348116570358.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am carla houston from usa. I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with herpes I though about my children and my husband, I know my children will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found Dr. Alika   contact number. I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Alika   herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Alika and very happy with my hubby and children.if you have any diseases contact dr alika via email on dralikaherbalhome@gmail.com or add him up on  whatsapp +2348116570358.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suffering from herpes is a Terrible Experience which i suffered till i meet a herbal doctor called Dr. KHAM. I tried all possible mean to get cured but i never received cure from any of the 7 hospital i visited.Just Match,14,2018 i saw a recent post of how Dr. Kham herbal medicine cured people and that he is a honest man to work with in the procedures on finding a cure, then i contacted him in trial and he sent me a herbal medicine with the full prescription oh how to drink for two weeks and i exactly followed the guidelines that was given to me by DR. KHAM to cute the long story short the herbal medicine flushed out my whole system and make the herpes virus inactive all thanks to Dr. Kham who God is using to cure people of this terrible virus (herpes simplex virus) for anyone here that has herpes or other kinds of disease and Virus should mail all his or her complain to DR. KHAM on his email which is (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com) or whats app him on +2348159922297 

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...