Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Weren't The Smallholders Small Years A Go? Part 2.


"Didn't we almost have it small?"  

I could have wrote those lyrics for a famous Whitney Houston song, couldn't I?  

Any road.  The NEW hen house (no longer used for hens) door is now installed and it's even been given a coat of red oxide paint.  Number one son cannibalized (cut down and welded) a door and fixed it into place.  We were 6 inches (15 centimetres in new gas meters) short.  So he sent me to look round the smallholding for another piece of corrugated iron.  I remembered (light bulb moment) using one for part of a compost heap. 

So I set off to the plot (it's about fifty feet away) with my trusty English shovel, (the long handled Celtic shovel was having a day off) and did dig like a terrier looking for a rat and did push and shove and extracted the still intact corrugated sheet.  Then number one cut it to the right size and text screwed it into place.  Then I painted the sheets red and looked back at our work.  

Not bad for under a tenner and it will (should do) last me out.  We just need to attach a piece of rubber (piece of a car tyre) on the bottom of the door to stop Tom getting in.  Many many footsteps have worn the floor down.  Did I tell you about Tom?  I met him in the summer when we were making one of the gate entrances to the fields with the digger.  Silage contractors tractors and machinery are getting bigger (like the round bales) every year.  Soon they will be bringing the Ark Royal on wheels to cut your hay or silage.  

The door is complete.  Lets hope Tom doesn't get in.  Can you guess who Tom is?

13 comments:

  1. Very useful son you have there Dave. Door looks good. Tom? fox, pine marten, rat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne. He's very practical. Far more more practical than me. Tom is a lad with a pointed nose and a very long tail. He nearly scared the life out of me when number one son tore into a earth bank with the digger bucket and this two foot long black creature started legging it towards me. The lads called him Tom and often ask me if I have seen him lately. I haven't and I don't want to see him or his wife and family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Dave, can your son cross the water and sort my house out please :)
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem Twiggy. Can you please send him back with lots of bottles of Ben Shaws minerals and copious amounts of Old Peculier?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dave, please dont tell me it is a rat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rattus Norvegicus I am afraid to say, Sol. The joys of rural living or not? Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hmm, I'm flummoxed as to Tom's identity. I was thinking Snake but he couldn't leg it towards you and would be sleeping now. More clues please Dave :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CT. I have just told Sold the identity of the black legged creature with the long tail. There are no snakes in Ireland because St Patrick drove them out.

      What did St Patrick say when he drove the snakes out of Ireland?

      "Are you alright in the back lads?"

      Sorry I had to tell you that one!

      Delete
  7. Booking Number One Son in for a spot of DIY down here in SW France when he has time! And I have a picture of you in my head 'digging like a terrier', which is likely to stay with me today! You made me smile, and for that I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vera. Thanks! Twiggy wants him in Yorkshire and you want him in France. It sounds like he is going international, "West Cork, West Yorkshire and France".

    Glad I made you smile Vera. I thank you for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two feet long Dave? Have you been kissing the Blarney Stone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't stand around to measure the rat, Anne. Just type: 'Rats the size of cats' in Google and you will see the article in the Daily Mail about the enormous rats invading England and Ireland. Experts are blaming the growth on takeaway food outlets. The rat I saw black and was over 18 inches including it's tail. I have been to Blarney here in County Cork but never kissed the stone.

    ReplyDelete