Wednesday 4 March 2015

A Wheelbarrow Friendly Smallholding?

It was throwing it down on Monday afternoon.  I had been asked to cut some logs up with the chainsaw.  Number one son ended up operating the saw and I took upon my usual smallholding farm labourer role.  I rushed to our dwelling with the loaded wheelbarrow and decided that I would wheel them into the range in the kitchen,  Instead of filling the plastic crate with logs and carrying them backwards and forwards to the log box.  Trouble is the freezer in the corridor blocked my way.

Somebody then chastised me for leaving muddy tyre prints on the tiles.  Well it's a change from muddy boots isn't it?  That's why we put down the tiles because we live on a farm.  The terrier and cat also Christen the tiles with their paw prints.  At least we have a mop and carpets in the bedrooms!  The mop doesn't live in the bedroom though.  We keep that with the coal in the bath!  I am joking!  

11 comments:

  1. id not allow it either! lol I would be worried that the wheel barrow may crack the tiles when put down also. Expense I wouldnt be happy with. lol outside with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sol. My late father brought me those tiles and a flat packet kitchen from Wickes in England. The two lads once brought the two nanny goats in on dog leads once. I was once given the job of catching a bat (not a cricket one) and putting outside. There's never a dull moment in our house. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they logs from your own trees Dave? We have spent a small fortune on logs this winter unfortunately we don't have any trees big enough to pollard yet.
    Boots belong outside Dave, but I doubt your wife has had any more success in training you as I have training my other half, it must be a man thing. and wheel barrows definitely belong outside, I hope you did the cleaning up afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the fallen limbs from a tree surgeon last year when we had the Darwin storm Anne. We do cut our own down some times. It's always cheaper if you saw them yourself.

      We deliberately tiled the house when we built it because of muddy boots and muddy paw prints. I have been known to store bags of oats in the living room. It keeps them away from vermin.

      Delete
  4. Could be worse Dave my friend's hubby used to strip down motorbikes in the hallway and oil bike parts on the dining room table. He used to say he'd done it long before she moved in :)
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Twiggy. Your friend's hubby wanted to fix his motorbikes in the warmth and not outside in a cold shed. My son re-built the hydraulic pump of our grey Fergie in his bedroom. It's better than playing the X box all the time like number 2 son does. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Your floors look the same as ours have been during these last few weeks of wet weather! And wheelbarrows indoors? For sure, if needs must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot in common us smallholders Vera. Is it still wet and muddy in France? Put the cattle out in the field today. They look very content. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Tiles are easy to wipe down compared to getting a bad back from carrying all those logs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't they just Cumbrian? I think the Chinese person who invented the wheelbarrow was a genius and a smallholder. "Necessity is the mother of invention" and all that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Bank Holiday Carboot Antiques Hunt.

 It's a Bank Holiday here in Ireland giving everyone a day off after Saint Patrick's Day. The weather forecast was not good but we s...