Saturday 21 March 2015

Time To Move On.

We have been fencing, weeding, dividing perennials, weeding, sowing a lawn in the 5 tree orchard, mowing the lawns and more weeding again.  The place looks it belongs to some one again.  The next job is painting the rest of the outside of the farmhouse.  That's my great weekend!

Not forgetting the small matter of the Old Trafford heroes going along the East Lancs road to play Liverpool.  I love this derby more than other derby.  It's so intense and it's a clash between the biggest giants in English football.  Some say the rivalry goes back to the building of the Manchester Ship canal and diverting the cotton trade to Manchester.  I thinks it's so important because Liverpool and United have won it all.  They are the most decorated clubs in English football history.  Liverpool and United fans want the bragging rights!

I digress.  This dry weather really lifts the depression and I think we are finally getting round to getting the farmhouse occupied again.  My uncle died in 2008 and we have hated looking at the empty house that my father was born in.  We built our bungalow in 2003 and it's only twenty feet from the old farm house.  We are pleased we own the 2 houses and one day both lads will have their own house, but not yet.

The farm house gets rarely used apart from occasional relatives or friends visits.  I hate seeing that empty building.  I have some wonderful memories of my dad's parents and his brother living there.  Now it's time to move on and make our own new memories.  Life is for the living isn't it?

We have thought of doing holiday lets for walkers on the Sheeps Head Way or even long let.  It's just that it's next to the farmyard and I don't think it would be really suitable for families with kids.  We would have to fence it off seperately.  Plus we don't want to be tiptoeing around in the haggard when we are seeing to the farm animals or fixing things.  I think the house would be good for anybody who wants to live in the country but wants to sample country living before they commit themselves to buying a property in the countryside next to the sea.

What would you do if you had an empty property in the countryside?  Would you rent it out long term or just for holiday lets?  We could even rent the tenant a field or two and they would have their own smallholding?  All thoughts gladly appreciated! 

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Self Catering perhaps, John. I have watched 3 in a bed on Channel 4 and it's put me off the B and B idea. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. My philosophy when letting out property is to treat people as I would like to be treated myself. My first rule is never to be greedy so I rent out cheaply and hopefully it is a two way thing and my tenants appreciate any help I can give them in a reasonable rent by taking good care of the property. My property is not in a holiday area so I do a renewable short-hold assured tenancy agreement for 1 year at a time. I am constantly told by people that I could get more money but for me this is not the most important thing. There is a lot of luck involved too. If you are in a holiday area, then go for holiday lets, bird watchers or walkers the like. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck to United tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be a minefield the house letting business, Rachel. I heard of somebody who rented out their furnished holiday home for 6 months and their furniture got ruined.

      We don't get a lot of tourists but we are 5 minutes away from the Sheeps Head Way by foot.

      Ideally we would rent it to somebody interesting in growing their own, smallholdings, vintage tractor restoration, walking, writing...? Hey that sounds like me.

      Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to the Anfield match today. C'mon you reds! Hopefully a United victory.

      Delete
  3. What about trying holiday lets for the summer and if it doesn't work out go for the long term let? Just make sure you tell them it's a working farm and they'll have to understand the noise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Kev. Ideally we would rent it to a couple who wanted to experience life on a smallholding in rural ireland next to the sea. I think it would be a good idea to highlight the fact that we/they would be staying on a working farm. Thanks for your thoughts!

      Delete
  4. You should advertise in the states! We crazy Yanks not only pay farms to provide a place to sleep, but we are anxious to help with the chores as part of the "experience". You could have them weeding all day, throw any old slop on a plate and tell them it's local cuisine (while you eat the good stuff), and they go off to bed really tired and happy! You win-they win!...hope United wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan,

      Well it's on the Wild Atlantic Way. If any US visitors wish to do some walking on the Sheeps Head Peninsula and stay on a little farm. They can leave a comment or email me. Great win for United. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. How about contacting the Rural Resettlement scheme and see if they have people looking for your area, from what I have heard they are good to deal with and a registered charity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne. I have considered the RRS but we don't really want a long term tenant. Ideally we would rent the house to a smallholder who wants to grow vegetables, rear animals and doesn't mind us working on our vintage farm machinery, especially at night. Plus there is no public transport or shops for over 4 miles. So they might be bored and isolated if they weren't interested in the countryside, farm animals and vegetable growing etc..? Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't add anything else really, just to say.... put the idea to bed for the moment and the answer will come to you, probably when you least expect it. We have a decision coming up once the ground floor of our house is finished, and that is....do we take in guests or do we not. We shall only have one bedroom to let at first, so could only take two people at a time, but they would be living with us and sharing our life, working on the farm if they so wish, or resting and recovering from the stresses of their life. Sometimes I think I want to go the route of having people here, but other times I don't because people can be darned difficult sometimes! So, what to do........time will tell! But I am sure that you will find the right solution, and it might be good for you to have other company around the place. Vx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You talk a lot of sense Vera. I know what you mean about people being difficult. They are like our smallholding animals. Some are angels and some are devils. We obviously welcome an income and company but you don't want aggro.

    I think if we do let the farmhouse . It will be for holiday lets. I don't want to go down the road of long term tenants and contracts. We have thought of a camp site but that's a can of worms with planning issues, rubbish, hard standing areas and WC facilities all very expensive.

    Thanks Vera and to the other comments for helping us think out loud and try to make the right decisions for our smallholding.

    ReplyDelete

Bank Holiday Carboot Antiques Hunt.

 It's a Bank Holiday here in Ireland giving everyone a day off after Saint Patrick's Day. The weather forecast was not good but we s...