Saturday 27 January 2018

A Week In The Algarve Sun And Back To The Land Of The Rain Gods.

We have just been to sunny Portugal for a week of sunshine.  We came back last night to rainy Dublin and a long five and half hour car journey.  It was great to see the Algarve again.  Yes it was pretty quiet but the weather was fabulous.  

It's got to be the best weeks weather in January in all of my fifty four years.  One day it was nineteen degrees Celsius.  I didn't get any arthritic pain until Thursday when some of the mizzle came to visit us for an hour.

Here's some pictures for you:


Most days I walked six miles along a near deserted beach.  Passing mainly Portuguese walkers and the occasional fisherman and a sprinkling of tourists.  Sunday was the busiest day when the Portuguese families enjoy the beach with their families. 
 We paid eleven Euros fifty for this jug of Sangria and two glasses.  

We also drank Sangria made with a bottle of wine from Spar for one Euro fifteen,  70CL of Smirnoff is only ten Euros something and you can get a bottle of  Brandy for about 7 Euros.  Add a bit of fruit and you have got your own loony juice.  Especially if you're like me and sup it like its pop. 

Joke:  Which nineteen fifties pop group is still going today?  Ben Shaws!  


 Our villa which we booked on Booking.Com.  See old donkey knees ("yours truly") with his shorts on?

 Holiday makers enjoying the Algarve sun in Armacao Da Pera.
 Somersby cider and Super Bock.  Cold refreshing drinks on a sunny January afternoon?  I prefer Sagres when its available!

More pictures of palm trees and few tourists.  But who wants lots of crowds?  Like my old pal Jean Sartre once said: "Hell is other people."  

Hope you enjoyed the photos and I would recommend the Algarve out of season anytime.  Where is the best holiday destination you have visited during our Winter?

11 comments:

  1. Great photos Dave, and the description of your daily 6 mile walk along the beach and that first photo, made me feel like I was there. Great time of year to go by the looks of things, I am not surprised you would like to live there. I have never taken a holiday in winter except to places colder than here. Early January in Budapest I enjoyed a lot thought, lots of hot spas and pools in the snow and ice. Thanks for sharing everything here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel. Portugal is a beautiful and very inexpensive country to visit in January or any time. We often think everywhere gets our cold and rain but some countries get fantastic weather most of the time. We're still looking for somewhere over there. Even if it's just for Winter to start with. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your plans for Portugal Dave. I can see the attraction from this post alone.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rachel. Your recent trip to the Malaga area confirmed what I think about escaping the harsh winter's we get in this part of Europe.

      Delete
  3. Great weather and cheap. Much better than Greece at this time of the year! You found a terrific get away in the Algarve.
    Sunshine without hundreds of tourists.. and sangria.
    Beautiful apartment too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice break and we didn't want to come back to wet and cold Ireland. Yes far from the maddind crowd too. Thanks LA;

      Delete
  4. I sighed looking at your photographs. Certainly I wished I could spend some time in the Algarve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Valerie. We didn't want to come back. Have you been to the Algarve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years ago.. I remember the weather more than anything.

      Delete
    2. Yes it's a fantastic holiday destination. I dream of living there.

      Delete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...