Thursday 2 May 2024

Making A Heath Robinson Style Cold Frame In 5 Minutes For Free.

 The leek seedlings were starting to burn up in the polytunnel.  So I decided to repurpose the shower surround that been leaning against the pallets of my compost and fym piles:


Four upturned buckets and the shower surround/ door placed on top and "Bob's your uncle" we had our very own cold frame.

I have considered filling the gaps in between the buckets with off cuts of old timber but it's easier to slide your arm under and pull out the leeks in plastic  modules  to water and push back in.

You don't need to rush to B & Q if you look in skips and ask at recycling centres if they have any old shower surrounds or buckets they don't want?

Regular readers will remember I made my cold frame with the shower screen resting on old bricks and pieces of old timber a few years ago.

Perhaps I should advertise my repurposed garden products in one of those posh gardening magazines?๐Ÿ™‚

 I once sent a humorous article to a smallholding magazine in England.  They emailed and said: "We don't  do humour". Oh the irony!๐Ÿ˜Š

More repurposing things for growing stuff for nowt or nuffink soon.


9 comments:

  1. Very nice.
    P did the same thing several years ago with an old bifold shower screen. It worked a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Won't your leeks grow up with stripes on them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we try to blanch them why not have striped ones?

      Delete
  3. Call it rare or vintage and double the price, that's the new normal on Facebook marketplace, Marlene, Poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea Marlene but people can have my idea free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment YP but I haven't published it because I do not wish to have my surname on this post. Thanks for commenting though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have a smallholding you NEED a sense of humour!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said GZ. I threw away my rose tinted rural smallholding glasses long ago. Rural problems are big like urban problems are. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

"Sleep Like A Baby".

 In less than a few months I will be hopefully travelling to Blighty to see some prog bands and a myriad of other eclectic kinds of music.  ...