Wednesday 8 May 2024

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment.

Bim potatoes.  I thought the tubers would be purple coloured but not their stalks?🤔

More Homeguard new potatoes.
I dug trenches and removed the soil to make a  raised bed or two without wooden sides.  They are more like the Irish "lazy bed" system of growing vegetables.
The peas seem to like this method of growing and it makes the beds more free draining.  I used the soil from the trenches for filling plant pots for my perennials and shrubs, plants nursery.

Kale covered with old net curtains in the plastic repurposed plastic raised beds.
Lettuces.
Spinach


Onions growing in half an old heating oil tank.  They don't care their raised bed is secondhand and repurposed.  Like I have said so many times before.  You don't need an allotment or veg patch to grow your veggies.  All you need is something to grow them in.  Be it a plant pot, bucket, fish box, old bath or even an IBC tank or an old heating oil tank like the one my onions are growing in.

14 comments:

  1. If I had an allotment, I would use anything I could get, at home in the garden it does have to look nice. I love your Irish lazy bed system. I have just netted my pea seedling, the bl**dy pigeons have been nibbling. Thanks for the broad bean tip, once I read it I remembered my dad using soapy water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Marlene. Living in the countryside next to the sea it allows me to be a scruffy gardener and I use anything that costs nothing or very little to plant and sow vegetables in. Yes the birds are very active picking their early mornings veggies from the polytunnel and veg plot and they need a protective cover like nets or lace net curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great results going on there Dave. Interesting purple spuds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TM. Aren't those potatoes stalks strange? I had never heard of Bim until this year.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a good growing season there on the smallholding, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love May in particular Debby. Lots going on in the gardens and so much to keep me busy planning and seed sowing and harvesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your net curtain barrier is working well then?
    We need something similar to keep the birds off our strawberries. Not sure about the slugs though. I try to save my eggshells but P keeps throwing them away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes JayCee the net curtains are working well. You could buy horticultural fleece if you want your strawberries bed to look more aesthetically pleasing. I break the eggshells up with the pestle and mortar. I believe they add calcium to the soil. Slug pubs also work but mine keep evaporating in the polytunnel. Old beer and pop gives them a top up.

      Delete
  7. Lazy beds, earlier in Scotland in the Highlands and Islands apparently....runrig, or rig a rendal....ridge and furrow.
    Good to see your tatties on their way

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked on a golf course GZ in Lancashire and one of the fairways was grass covered ridge and furrows. The tatties and neeps are growing well in the polytunnel especially.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All seems to be going well Dave - thanks to your dedication and hard work! I wonder what The Kales get up to behind those net curtains? Mr Lettuce says that Mrs Kale is a dirty bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If the net curtains start twitching we will know vegetables are like nosey neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your gardening always amazed me. You have a hobby you really love. Well done Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Linda. It's my pride and joy. I can't wait in the morning to get in the polytunnel and veg plot to see what's new.

    ReplyDelete

Two Posts In One. A Really Good Cottage Gardening Book Recomendation And A Bit About Dorset.

 I have on my bookshelf  a gardening book from 1986 that I highly recommend to people looking for gardening  ideas and I am often looking at...