Wednesday 23 August 2017

Solanum Tuberosum .

Two pans of freshly dug potatoes waiting to be washed.  



Its been a mixed summer weather wise.  But we have still managed to grow something.  Yes the weeds and slugs are having a field day on the veg plot but there is nothing to beat home grown vegetables.  The potatoes are Duke Of York.  

For the rest of the year I will spend many hours preparing for next years produce.  Lots of digging and trenching and adding home made compost.  We never use chemicals and always find we are chasing after the weeds.  My late dad use to tell me it only takes three months for a vegetable plot to become fully overgrown.  He was right and its easy to beat yourself up mentally when the plot looks scruffy.  But you can live with the weeds and still have some great meals.

I still miss my allotments I rented in England.  Its good to have a smallholding but you miss the camaraderie of the allotments.  What are you growing next year.  Have you thought about getting and allotment or perhaps a smallholding?  






14 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, used to have an allotment but now smallholding. I'm in a smallholding and we visit other holdings each month during the summer. I can see it can otherwise be potentially isolating. Your potatoes look good. I grew Red Duke of York this year and am really impressed with them so I'll grow them again next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... smallholding club...

      Delete
    2. Hi Philip. I think blogging and following other blogs is like being in an online smallholding club. It would be good to be a member of a smallholding club here in Ireland. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have thought lots about a small holding. lots and lots. its the price of land that doesnt help us. Unless we went to wales or scotland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or Ireland or Portugal Sol. You could even rent a smallholding. Have a look at Greenshifters on the web.

      Delete
  3. Cover any area you're not using would be my tip for the top - changed my garden into something more manageable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip Kev. Its to take your eye off the veg plot for a while and it soon becomes overgrown. I will soon knock my plot back into shape if we get an Indian summer - thanks!

      Delete
  4. i have a monstrously good potato year, chemical free and drowned in bindweed due to neglect...lol due to spring time crippledom i couldnt dig so resorted to my grannys method slipped a potato a couple of inches into a slot made with a shovel then topped the potato bed up with grass clippings every week ...who knew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic tip Kate. I admire you for being so stoic and managing to grow your potatoes. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Those potatoes look superb Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. You can't beat homegrown vegetables can you? Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm sure those spuds will taste as delicious as they look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are delicious Gwil. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Bank Holiday Carboot Antiques Hunt.

 It's a Bank Holiday here in Ireland giving everyone a day off after Saint Patrick's Day. The weather forecast was not good but we s...