Friday 6 October 2023

'Lovely lady..."

 I seem to be going back in time for my music.  Today I would like to feature English Prog Rock band Curved Air.

On Wednesday my friend sent me an email to say they are playing a Prog Rock festival in England next August.  

So thanks to good old You Tube I have been playing Curved Air videos.  I was surprised that I recognised one of their tracks and I found a few more that are great.

Some one in one of the comments under the videos said that Prog music is unfinished Rock music.  I think it's not a bad attempt at describing the music genre but I would say it's more than that.  Prog Rock is art and takes you somewhere else!

I love the hairstyles, psychedelic backdrops, 'Orange' speakers/amplifiers and the enigmatic and beautiful female lead singer.  

She reminds me of the lead singer of Jefferson Airplane.  Remember 'White Rabbit'? Perhaps she was the person who inspired Kate Bush?  

Anyone seen Curved Air?  I would imagine  Rachel or Yorkshire Pudding will have?

I am really thinking of going to see them next year.  Hawkwind are also playing who I have never seen but I have seen Hawklords and people say to me: "If you have seen Hawklords you have seen Hawkwind".

Enjoy the video.

England must be the capital of the world for Prog Rock? America, Canada and Germany and several other countries have also produced some great bands down the years.  I still have Saga, April Wine and Styx on my Prog/Heavy Rock to see bucket list.  What about ye? Ye? I have lived too long in Ireland and picked up some of the twang!

10 comments:

  1. Gosh Curved Air is a name I had forgotten, but yes I saw them at Newcastle City Hall in the 1970s, more than once. I love her haunting voice and they were very popular in the North East. Thanks for the reminder. I enjoyed the video and will watch some more of them. Happy memories. I am surprised they are playing together next year, thinking they would all be long gone. Her hairstyle was so 1970s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would have seen them Rachel or had some of their records. Sonja is now in her mid seventies and still gigging and looking amazing. I love that long hair hippy look. I think I was born too late. Thanks for your City Hall memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace Slick - she was the lead singer for Jefferson Airplane. For a year or two they were a very special band breaking new ground. To be honest I don't recall ever seeing Curved Air in concert though of course I was aware of them in the very early seventies

    ReplyDelete
  4. They changed their name to Jefferson Starship and had some massive hits in the eighties YP. I am really enjoying myself listening to Curved Air on good old YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they'd change the name of "Eastenders" to "Northsiders".

      Delete
  5. I think it's called "Fair City" here .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly Malone drinks a pint of the blackstuff and eats a doner kebab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, passable cockles and mussels are hard to come by these days.

      Delete

Dividing Phormiums And Giving Them A Haircut.

Rather like vegetables. So many of our garden plants come from overseas.  I often spend time on Google looking up the etymology of our plant...