Wednesday 6 March 2024

Emptying Part Of The Polytunnel And Preparing The Ground For New Crops.




 I had been a busy bee yesterday.  I emptied lots of my shrubs and perennials in pots from the right hand bottom side of the polytunnel and placed them outside on a sheet of black plastic.  This took me all morning and some of the afternoon.  I really am something of a plantaholic. 

Then I moved(dragged) my dining room table / potting bench to the centre of the tunnel and away from any draughts.

Monday was a dreadful day with lots of rain and wind and damaging more of one gable of Portugal 🇵🇹 my polytunnel pal.  Yesterday was so much better.

Then we lifted and rolled up the sheet of black plastic and dragged it outside on to a vacant area of the veg plot.
All empty and cleared away.

All forked over and I soon had a real sweat workout.  I was sweating cobs!


I collected bamboo roots and stones while forking over the ground.  

The pigs 🐖 had cleared the area over a year ago so I was well dug and I found lots of well rotted dung.  

I will add more fym another day.  I will just empty barrow loads of the stuff and let the worms take it down.

I will dig some more potatoes 🥔 trenches before the week is out and fork some fym in the trench and place some chitted seed potatoes in the bottom and cover it up again.

I noticed my peas are sprouting so it's obviously warm enough to so more stuff.  So we sowed Pak Choi and some tomatoes which are going to germinate in the Chitting Room.

Quite a productive day.



12 comments:

  1. All that in one day? I would need to go back to the office for a week to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted seed potatoes and barrowed fym this morning. That's a blog post for tomorrow. Conditions are very wet underfoot outside the tunnel and I have been using decking planks for duck boards to get from the muck heap to the polytunnel. We usually plant our seed potatoes around the 17th of March. It looks like this year it will be later. I am glad we could plant seed potatoes inside the tunnel. Thanks Tigger's Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. It's good to have somewhere to garden even when it's raining and windy GZ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have done something terribly wrong to be sentenced to such hard labour. Did you pinch some "fruit salads" from the sweet shop?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Manual Labour was a Spanish gardener. Did you pinch some "wine gums" and got drunk on your walk near home yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would take two packets of wine gums to get me drunk Paddy!

      Delete
    2. Tha is wine gums talk.😊

      Delete
  6. Your well on the way to a decent harvest, I've started a few things in my greenhouse, done loads of general gardening in the sunshine today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could do with some of your sunshine Marlene. It's exciting getting the cultivating ground ready.

    ReplyDelete

More Charity Shop Treasure Finds.

My brother gave us two pictures  he found and bought in a charity shop recently. The picture above is a Pears soap Victorian lady sat  on a ...