Friday 22 March 2024

What A Difference A Dry Day Makes In The Veg Plot.


 Today Friday was a very productive day outside in the veg plot.

I planted my seed potatoes in the trenches I had prepared and dug nearly a fortnight ago.

The four rhubarb plants I made from one the other day are planted.

I planted out the peas we had sown in plastic modules trays a couple of weeks ago.  They are planted where the leeks lived in my timberless raised bed.  This got a wheelbarrow of fym before I planted the leeks.

Peas are legumes and take nitrogen from the air and exude it through their root nodules thus feeding the soil.  It's one vegetable that actually feeds and replenishes the soil when it is growing.

Peas originate from Asia and Turkey and Syria in particular they are another vegetable that I have looked at their etymology and discovered they came along the silk road into Europe with so many other vegetables and spices.

I have replanted the plastic modules with Kelvedon Wonder garden peas in the polytunnel.

It's good to see things growing in the veg plot.  All we need now is a few weeks of sunshine because we have had enough rain.

Is it Actions Stations in your veg plot or allotment?

Thanks for over 3000 views today folks and of course the kind people who commented.  

14 comments:

  1. You don't know how envious I am, northsider. It is supposed to warm up next week, but it has been cold and snowy here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious of your post and comments today Debby. What a brilliant post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beans also enrich the soil with nitrogen, just chop up the whole plant once the beans have finished and dig them into the soil where they can rot and feed the soil until the next season. Every Italian gardener I know does this with a rotating crop of broad beans every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you are right River. Some farmers here grow Alfalfa and field beans and make silage with it tou use for fodder for their livestock. I have grown green manures like mustard in my allotments and veg plots. Mustard can be sown and strimmed and dug into the ground. It's a member of the brassica family so you need to crop rotate. It is said to be useful for clearing wireworm in old grassland. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No action stations here. Maybe it's time to plant a few tomatoes. I remember fresh peas from my father's garden. Delicious.
    Sunshine again today. Good clothes drying weather

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like mizzle weather here Linda. Yesterday I pricked out forty tomato seedlings and planted them up into small plant pots. I think I overdid the seed sowing? I did the same with the Globe Artichokes. Oh well. Anyone want any vegetable plants?😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to de side shoot some of my tomatoes yesterday. Be fore we know it our plants will be growing out of hand. Happy days
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy. I had forgotten how relaxing and therapeutic pricking out seedlings and potting them and listening to Rock music on my mobile phone can be. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's another kind person coming along to comment. In fact, I am so kind that it hurts! Our vegetable plot needs digging over and weeding but it is still too soggy up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you are kind for commenting Mr Pudding. I would make raised beds for growing vegetables. They help improve the drainage. I will show you some of mine soon on here.

      Delete
  10. Now we are back from our break it's sowing time for me, I have a few flowering plants I need to start hardening off, ready for planting. Not growing peas this year, not sure if I have the space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marlene. It's such a mixed bag the month of March. You get every season in a day or even hour. I'm willow tree planting today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No action yet. Still too cold even in the greenhouse.
    Although three broad beans sown out last autumn have germinated....they might be regretting that this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They will be fine now they have germinated GZ. Broad beans and beetroot and rhubarb like the cold unlike us.

    ReplyDelete

Weeding And Pointing The Second Hand Patio.

 Do you remember when I made a patio with old paving slabs last year?  I had repurposed them from a path that was no longer needed.  A year ...