Sunday 10 March 2024

Repurposing My Old Garden Hoe.


I found this old hoe lying on the ground at the back of Portugal 🇵🇹 my polytunnel the other day.

So I picked it up to attack some weeds and grass and the metal handle snapped and dropped off.  The rust had successfully made the hoe give up the ghost.

However me being a tightwad smallholders and gardener.  I decided to use the hoe blade for a onion hoe.  

Not really a repurpose more than an adaptation more like necessity is the mother of invention.  Or "tell the bus driver I want wee wee" kind of moment.

I tried it out on my raise bed which is full of Japanese onions and Kale at the moment.  It cuts through weeds like a knife 🔪 through butter 🧈 .  Have you reused a garden tool when it broke on you?

I think I am turning into a person like Eric Olthwaite except I keep coal in the bath next to the pigeons and not in the sideboard.




10 comments:

  1. Definitely reuse tools..I have a wooden spade handle which is now a long handled dibber...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the long handled dibber GZ. I have one for making wide holes to drop my leeks in giving them room to make a wider white sock. Years ago when televisions had buttons that you pressed to change channels. My friend use to hold a pool cue to press the buttons without having to cross the room. He use to call it his tv remote control and we would laugh. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to reuse as much as I can, some of my tools belonged to my mum, I also keep bit's that might come in handy, drives hubby mad, but it does save money. Loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gardening doesn't have to be expensive Marlene. Michael Palin is a comic genius and Ripping Yarns was a classic comedy series. Glad you enjoyed the video. I have met a few Eric Olthwaites in my time. Characters make the world go round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. I have never had to re-purpose any of my tools as I look after them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound very organised YP. I bought the hoe secondhand many moons ago.

      Delete
  6. That clip is so funny :) My garden tools don't get enough use to be breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a borger fork with a broken half length handle, ideal for raised beds in the polytunnel. My sister has made her collection of damaged garden toolsinto a small 'fence ' beside some steps, usefull supprt for climbing them as you get older.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. How resourceful of you both Kathy.

    ReplyDelete

More Charity Shop Treasure Finds.

My brother gave us two pictures  he found and bought in a charity shop recently. The picture above is a Pears soap Victorian lady sat  on a ...