Sunday 9 June 2024

Wild Daisies At A Repurposed Railway Station.


 Wild Daisies in flower at what was the platform at Abbeyfeale train station in County Limerick.

Yes we went for a walk again on the Greenway that stretches from Listowel in County Kerry to Rathkeale in County Limerick.

In total it is forty Kilometres in length.  Which is 24.855 Miles in my language.

I have featured this Greenway and the Fenit one on here a few times.

For someone like me who likes walking in particular on tarmac, its a joy.  

There's no cars to avoid and on the parts I have walked I never encountered any hills unlike the Sheep's Head Way where we reside.  

Which is of course spectacularly beautiful for it's scenic and panoramic views of country and sea. I might add.

When walking the Greenways of Ireland 🇮🇪 you always meet people walking or cycling and having Bronte with us ensures people speak.



Me and Bronte walking over the bridge.  I am wearing my "new to me" blue walking jacket that I bought from a charity shop for  five Euros recently.

Old locomotive water filling tower now covered in encroaching Ivy.


Silage bales in a distant field.  Silage and haymaking always makes me think that Winter is on it's way.  

Indeed it was the saving of hay that made the Roman empire so successful because they had a constant source of forage for their horses.

I hope you enjoyed our saunter along the Limerick  Greenway? The Irish government have spent 20 million repurposing the old railway line.  It really is well worth having a looking at. I will walk another stretch and blog about it another time.



14 comments:

  1. "Having Bronte with us ensures people speak."
    BRONTE Grrrr! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!
    YORKSHIRE PUDDING Get this bloody hound off me!
    DAVE She'll not hurt you!
    YORKSHIRE PUDDING Ye daft wazzock! She's just taken a chunk out of my left buttock!
    BRONTE (Panting and chewing) Mmmmmm!
    DAVE Serves you right! You should have stayed in England! Besides, you caused The Potato Famine!
    YORKSHIRE PUDDING I wasn't even born then!
    ( Yorkshire Pudding gives Dave a right uppercut and he collapses in a heap).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could imagine that sketch YP. At least Bronte makes people speak. sometimes go walking and say "Hi" to people and they don't answer. So I say: "Please yourself then". Saying that. Walkers and cyclists are very amiable and pleasant mostly on my walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit too far for me to walk, it does look lovely there, I do love all types of dasies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marlene. I have walked about half of it and I plan on completing the other sections soon. If I lived close to there I would walk it a few times a week, especially in summer time. The Greenway passes through lots of towns and villages. If they made a few campsites and bunkhouses and signposted the hotels and b and b's it woul be great for people to have holidays there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought "Wild Daisies" was going to be about another band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the Smashing Pumpkins Tasker? The Daisies put on a marvellous show at the old railway platform. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I like a repurposed railway track. They are often a haven for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi July's. I agree they are and old railway lines have some very scenic and rural views and wals away from cars and lorries. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a wonderful walk, and a wonderful use of something abandoned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful walk or cycle Debby. There is so much that could be developed and the infrastructure like old engine houses could be made into cafes and bunk houses and campsites. It would be a great cycling holiday for a family. It was wonderful to walk on a tarmac surface not near cars and traffic.

      Delete
  9. While it is sad to not have the extensive railway system that once existed as we try to reimagine our transport options without internal combustion cars, it is great that they have been reimagined as sustainable cycle and walkways. You had a great day weatherwise too it seems. Lovelky photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes you sum it up perfectly Tigger's Mum. Canals are another way of repurposing waterways built for transporting goods now repurposed for leisure pursuits like narrow boat sailing, fishing and cycling and fishing. It was a lovely hour or so spent walking on the marvellous repurposed Greenway. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did enjoy the Greenway. An ideal place to walk. And so green! Probably why its call ed a Greenway lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great thought about why it's called a Greenway Linda. Such a shame that these railways became abandoned and many go through some very scenic rural and coastal locations. Fenit Greenway was spectacularly beautiful with it's picturesque seascape views of Tralee Bay when we visited it last year. They are great places to keep fit and there are posters with phone numbers to hire electric bikes.

    ReplyDelete

Carboot Selling Or Not.

 We got up early last Saturday morning to go to a car boot sale some one had seen advertised online. When we got there the gates were locked...