Saturday 21 September 2024

Plastic Cloche Bottle Plant Propagation.


 Some of the many plastic bottles I have cut in half and made into cuttings cloches this last month or so.

I will use these over and over again before they go for recycling.

I find them very useful to protect tender vegetable plants and they make very good mini greenhouses for plant cuttings.  They trap the moisture after watering.

Newly rooted shrub plants.

I checked on some of the new cuttings yesterday which I had made over a month ago.

After removing a few weeds from around the cuttings.  I gently tugged on a plant or two.  They didn't move and have obviously rooted.

It is worth lifting up the plant pot and looking for emerging roots coming through the drainage holes.  

Any road or any way.  We have new Hebes, Rugosa roses, Hypericum and Hydrangeas shrubs for the garden for next years garden.

This is one way of repurposing plastic and using it for free and to propagate plants.

Now is a good time to take shrub cuttings and divide perennials if they get regularly watered.

Going off the latest weather forecasts.  They will get plenty of watering next week.  At least we have our polytunnel  to keep dry and even its cover is made of plastic!

I took 20 Hydrangea cuttings this very morn.  I am short of 10 plastic bottles to make plastic plant cloches for them.  

Somebody I know keeps taking them back to Lidl and placing them in their "Return" machine.  This prints out a receipt and you take it to the checkout and they give you 25 Cents for a plastic bottle.  Do they have the machines in Blighty and the states yet?

You get 15 Cents for a undamaged beer can.  However there is no machine facility for glass bottles of pet food tins.  

Anyone taking shrub cuttings at the moment?


6 comments:

  1. No return bottle machine here yet, I also use some of my bottle on top of poles, holds nets in place, and if I bend close to the poles no chance of get poked in the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marlene. I often place plastic plant pots on top of canes. The return machines are good but they don't have a machine for pet food cans or glass bottles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cans we can pop into our recycling bins, glass we have to take to local bins as not collected, which we don't mind.

      Delete
  3. You appear to be growing a fine crop of plastic bottles!
    We don't have "return" facilities in British Lidl or any other supermarkets for that matter so I applaud Ireland for showing the way forward with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it works YP. 13 EU countries have a return scheme in operation. No machines for glass orpet food tins though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only seen machines for recycling at IKEA so far.
    Mini greenhouses..and can be better than putting pot and cutting in a plastic bag...less chance of root rot

    ReplyDelete

Plastic Cloche Bottle Plant Propagation.

 Some of the many plastic bottles I have cut in half and made into cuttings cloches this last month or so. I will use these over and over ag...