Friday 13 September 2024

Polytunnel Big Tidy Up And Making Soup.

 I gave the polytunnel a big tidy up this week.

We harvested all the tomatoes and I laid the green and yellow ones out on two tables.  I also filled two buckets of green tomatoes.  We gave one bucket to my brother to put in his greenhouse to redden.

Four buckets of green and yellow and orange tomatoes.
I laid some out in the polytunnel.  Some of them kept rolling on to the floor.  They don't mind getting wet when I turn on the hosepipe sprinkler tap.  

Strangely enough.  No birds or four legged  creatures are attacking them.  Perhaps they are colour blind or they don't like tomatoes?  

Any one have any recipes for green toms please?

We also froze a few bags of red tomatoes for our curries and chillies this Autumn and Winter.
We made some red tomato and onion soup.  The only other ingredient was a chicken stock cube and a good dollop of curry powder.

Our un liquidized soup m.  I had four slices of brown bread with mine.

There was a bit of tomatoes residue at the bottom of the soup bowl.  I put this in the pig bucket and they scoffed it all down in one go.

Anyone else getting into soup making season yet?

18 comments:

  1. HJust try putting them in casseroles and curries, Many people liked them fried, with or without a batter coating. I also like them in chutneys. I sprinkle mine with a small amount of sugar to eat fried tomato on toast.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy. Fried tomatoes on toast sound great! Keep the toms recipes suggestions coming folks please!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those tomatoes! What a terrific harvest you had this year. Green tomato chutney is the only thing I can think of but how much of that can you eat . Definitely not soup weather yet here. It's still Greek salad and iced coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's been brilliant Linda for growing. Tomatoes do best in ground heavily manured. We never bought no liquid tomato food just my nettle tea and fym. My rabbits would like your Greek salad. I would love the iced cofee.

      Delete
  4. Nigel Slater recommends adding them to chicken portions and baking them with lemon juice, olives and olive oil. Sounds posh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound posh JayCee. I love lime and lemon juice on food. I'm ready for my dinner at ten to nine in the morning.

      Delete
  5. Green tomato jam. We freeze them whole and use them in soup, stew, salsa, (and jam making), chutneys, and hot barbecue sauce. https://www.linsfood.com/green-tomato-hot-sauce/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Green tomato jam🤔? You have sent me down a rabbit hole there Tigger's Mum. Thanks for the food link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's cool enough for soup, probably start in a week, we are away for a few days and get to eat what others cook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice Marlene. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also tomato tarts and as a mix of onion, tomato peppers aubergine, courgette or squash, are good grilled or roasted with sausages or burghers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been reading this blog for quite a while but I did not know that your brother also lived in Ireland. What is his name? Where does live? Is he married with kids? What's his shoe size? Does he prefer a "Mars" bar over a "Picnic" bar? Who was his favourite Spice Girl?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mel B is our favourite Spice Girl YP. She's from up North. What more could any one want? What's your favourite tomato dish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite tomato dish is "Heinz Tomato Sauce".

      Delete
    2. You can't beat Heinz baked beans and tomato sauce YP. I once owned a Heinz 57 terrier. Even Houses of Parliament sauce is made in the Netherlands these days.

      Delete
  12. Now i have gone down a rabbit hole - try this https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12617/green-tomato-pie-iii/

    ReplyDelete
  13. All that northern fresh air, fine ales and great pies are making you play a blinder TM. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Three Big Balls Of Wool From A Carboot Sale Make A Really Cheap Hand Knitted Aran Ladies Jumper.

 Twelve months ago J bought 3 large balls of wool for 3 Euros! I know.  But you have got to be a spend thrift some times. Some one said she ...