Sunday 15 September 2024

Smallholding French Onion Soup.

Another soup post.

We lit the stove in the front room last night to take away any chill.  We are only burning wood at the moment.  

Solid fuel smokeless coal is very expensive and the carbon taxes don't help. At least living in the countryside next to the sea we can light a fire or stove. 

 It's cheaper to make a pan of homegrown and homemade soup:

 When I was tidying and weeding the polytunnel the other day.  I found and harvested two big plastic buckets of our Snowball white onions:

We grow and eat a lot of the Alliums family in our house.

We bought the onion sets in Spring in Lidl.

Apart from weeding and watering them.  All they have had to feed them is well rotted fym from the rabbits, ponies and pigs.  Muck and magic!

I worked in the veg plot on Saturday morning weeding, repotting and topping up potted shrubs and perennials and I also made some new plants by division.

J made us some French onions from half a Snowball onion, our garlic and some gravy browning to give the soup colour:


Our homegrown and homemade French onion soup.  

I ate (drank) it with four slices of brown bread.  I don't like white bread but some one still buys it.  

There are some members of our household that don't like certain vegetables, onions in particular!  I eat any vegetable.

Anyone else making soup?


8 comments:

  1. Not yet, but very soon. I love soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do we Jules. Especially if you bake a loaf to go with it. Tinned soup is expensive and it's limited over here what varieties you can get. We used to like Baxters soup. Mulligitawny was my favourite. I wonder if I could make some?🤔

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make soup during the winter months. I shall probably have to start soon. Chilly here now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It feels like winter is nearly here JayCee. I love a lit stove and a bowl of our soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be making soup for lunch. It only requires one ingredient - a tin of Mulligatawny - sounds like it should have been a Womble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does YP. Mulligatawny soup is another Indian import along with Snooker YP. You know the Fat Les song "Vindaloo" dish often sung by England football fans? Vindaloo comes from Goa in India which was a Portuguese colony. So perhaps the Portuguese football fans should be singing "Vindaloo?" I suppose it's the staple diet of a lot of English fans? I wish could buy Mulligatawny soup. I will have to make some. Potato and leek soup today. Great win for the Forest. First win at Anfield in 55 years I believe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They deserved it as well... but poor old Everton! I have always had a soft spot for them.

      Delete
  7. I also like Everton. Dixie Dean was the Roy of The Rovers or Haaland of his day. The Duran goal was worth the match ticket. Do you think he knows Simon Le Bon? Great surname for a Villa player. Did you see Wayne Rooneys goal against the Celtic Heroes last week? He could still play for United if only he was a last twenty minutes substitute. I think the teams promoted will probably be relegated this season.

    ReplyDelete

The Repurposed Plastic Allotment.

 The next two posts are about repurposing  plastic in the veg plot. Regular readers have seen some of my plastic raised beds before.  Plasti...