Sunday, 9 October 2011

WRITING A FUNNY TRAVEL MEMOIR

I am busy writing a hopefully funny book about a certain area of Ireland.  Its up to 12000 words today.  I seem to be reading quite a lot of travelling books recently.  Its a genre that seems to be very popular these days.  The manuscripts got lots of anecdotes and a lot of useful and useless information.

I don't know how many words to write?  It needs to be compact enough for the traveller to fit in their pocket and for it to be big enough for the reader to think its worth the price.  I don't know whether to send it off to a traditional book publisher, make it into an E book or go for a printer who prints on demand?

My friend (A English Master) is very kindly proof reading it for me and I have just  paid a illustrator to draw me a picture for the front cover.  My English Master friend is also very kindly providing me with photographs for the book.  I realise now (it's took me years) that you have to be professional with your writing.

I would love to start my own book publishing business.  Perhaps this will be the start?

Who are your favourite travel book writers?  My favourite two travel writers are Pete McCarthy and Neil Peart.

Does anybody write funny travel books?


2 comments:

  1. Try Tony Hawks and Tim Moore (though I may have recommended both of these before). Tony Hawks wrote (most famously) 'Round Ireland with a Fridge', though 'Playing the Moldovans at Tennis' is better. Tim Moore wrote 'Do Not Pass Go', where he takes a trip round the London Monopoly Board in a very informative and funny way. He also wrote about his trip along the Spanish Pilgrimage path to Santiago de Compostella with a donkey called 'Spanish Steps: Travels with my Donkey' which is also funny and extremely good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben. I have read 'Round Ireland with a Fridge'. The Tim Moore books sound great.

    I think you would like: The Longest Crawl: Ian Marchant. It's an educated and amusing pub crawl round the UK, He talks about the Wayfarers Dole amongst a myriad of other subjects.

    I am really looking forward to reading your new book when it (hopefully) arrives in West Cork this week! I will write a blog or two about it!

    Thanks Ben!

    ReplyDelete