Sunday 12 February 2023

Not Freebird!

 L is for Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Continuing with some of my favourite Rock bands...

One band that is still touring and I would love to see would be Skynyrd.  Last year I saw Skinny Molly in Faversham in Kent at A New Day Festival.  They played an excellent cover of 'Free Bird.'

Lynyrd Skynyrd play a Southern Boogie Jazz influenced type of Rock and Roll.  Very much like the influences that Progressive Rock bands that I like are inspired by.

Below is a song that I can relate to very much.  Hope you like it? 

Simple Man was written in 1973 by Ronnie Van Zant and he put chords to what his grandmother and mother's tales that they told.  It's about believing in God, not being materialistic and finding love and enjoying the simple things that are so special.  

Being a simple man is a good thing.  I don't really like the Marxist term working class I prefer Simple Man or Emerson Lake and Palmers term: Fanfare For The Common Man.  Yes common man.  

Writing and reading and commenting  on blogs, writing, keeping livestock, hiking, camping, listening to Prog Rock music, going to Rock festivals, growing vegetables and propagating shrubs, hedging and perennials, gardening, enjoying real ales and great homemade food ... That's me a simple man.  

Very tragically some of the band including Ronnie died in a plane crash and his Freebird lyrics:"If I leave this town tomorrow.  Will you still remember me?"  Are such poignant and meaningful and heart felt lyrics.

I read that the above song is often sang at funeral services.  It's very philosophical and I like it very much.  

Next week my musical choice begins with M.  They are named after a JRR Tolkein book? 

Want another clue? Their original lead singer and lyricist nay poet is named after a creature that lives under the sea or a river.

He also likes gardening and he is Scottish.  Answers on a postcard or leave a comment.  Please!





29 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed that ...thank you. Perhaps Marillion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Libby. Yes Marillion is right. Named after JRR Tolkien's Silmarillion stories and myths.

      Delete
  2. At least this clue isn’t quite as easy as K was. I might be right in thinking the lead singer was such a dick he had to go incommunicado.

    Haven’t listened to any LS for ages - will rectify that.

    Was wondering if you would select another band - would have given you a double M…M M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Traveller YP also guessed right. I could easily have chose M for Magnum. Probably one of the best Prog Rock bands to come from Birmingham in my opinion. Don't know who M..M. M is? Crash Test Dummies did a track called M..M..M..

      Delete
    2. Matching mole

      Delete
    3. Part of the Canterbury scene? I saw Gong at Loreley in Germany in 2017.

      Delete
    4. As I age my desire to go to love concerts diminishes - having said that I am headed to London next week to see someone who might (but probably not) feature as an entry when you get very close to the end of the alphabet.

      Did you know Gong was the second Virgin album? Am sure Branson served me in his original London store on Oxford Street - the Tottenham Court Rd end.

      Any bridges involved in your N choice?

      Delete
    5. Hi Traveller. Who are you going seeing in London? I'm planning a trip to an outdoor Rock festival next year. Hopefully booking a cheap hotel and somewhere to charge my mobile phone after an hiking and camping trip. I'm 60 in December. I didn't know that Gong was the second Virgin album. I haven't even thought of N. Neil Peart does immediately come to mind. What a guy. What a band Rush.

      Delete
    6. Am going to see someone who has had two fewer wives than the subject matter of his concert

      Delete
    7. He is now a grumpy old man, classically trained, played on Space Oddity…lives in Norfolk now

      Delete
    8. Rick Wakeman? I saw him with Yes at Loreley in 2017.

      Delete
  3. Great song to wake up to on a Sunday morning. I have already guessed the next band - Marillion and their ex-lead singer Derek Dick (aged 64) - otherwise known as Sperm Whale - at least that's what the groupies used to call him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your right YP. I have seen Marillion twice and also I have seen Fish in 2019 and Steve Hogarth at Cropredy last year.

      Delete
  4. Hi Dave, as I am sure I have told you before, I saw Lynryd Skynyrd in Central Park, New York in the 1970s. We walked through the park and everybody appeared to be smoking pot. We weren't. It was in full view of everybody. It was a very memorable concert and how we got tickets I cannot remember, but I remember it and we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You concert name dropper Rachel.😊 That sounds one amazing concert. I thought me seeing Kansas was special. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynryd Skynyrd were a great rock band Dave. But there is an 'L' you skipped over. Maybe you're saving it for 'Z'?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weren't they just Philip. I have seen Jimmy Page but never the band that are said to have gone down like a lead Zeppelin and how they got their name. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The common man - in law judges would sometime try to apply a view they thought would be held by 'the ordinary reasonable man'. He was described as 'the man in the Clapham Omnibus'. Some elaborated on his description as someone who mowed his lawns in his shirt sleeves, and (in our view) probably had the radio tuned to a station playing LS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone who likes LS is a friend of mine Tigger. What a band!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that song, it's nice. I've never heard it before. The only LS song I know is Sweet Home Alabama from the movie of the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Home Alabama is a great song River.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had Misplaced Childhood, but I am anxious to read your next music post. I honestly had no clue they were still together, still touring. That's great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw them on that tour Debby in 1986 and I saw them in Germany in 2017 with Steve Hogarth replacing Fish on vocals. I saw Fish in 2019 and Steve Hogarth last year. Great band. Fish a very talented lyricist and keen gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who am I seeing? A clue for you - he is two wives short of what he is singing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Six does appear in the album title. The Six Wives of H8

      Delete
  16. Rick Wakeman. The man's a City fan, Tory and lso a keyboard wizard. You're in for a treat. Especially if he does some Keith Emerson stuff.

    ReplyDelete

More Carboot Plant Selling And I Bought Two Plants.

  Some of my shrubs and perennials and bric-a-brac and tomato plants and we also took books and pictures and two double glazed windows which...