Tuesday 5 September 2023

No Room For Cash Paying Backpackers At The Premier Inn.

 Next morning we caught the bus back to Chepstow and had a hearty breakfast and I also had a pint of Doombar bitter for only 2 pounds six pence.   You would pay 5 Euros fifty at least for a pint here in Ireland.  Good old Wetherspoon's yet again! 

We caught the train to Gloucester and had to wait for a bus to take us to our next destination due to essential bridge repairs.

The bus eventually arrived and we caught the bus to Stroud.  My feet were killing me and blisters had popped on the soles.  I was walking very slowly, in a lot of pain and very tired having little sleep for the last few days.  I needed much needed rest but there was no chance of that.

We decided to find a Premier Inn and book a room for the night.  After many wrong directions we eventually found the Reception.  A young lady with blonde hair looking at a computer monitor said that they only took card payments, you had to book online and the room would be 190 Pounds for one night.  

Talk about day  light robbery and a cashless society? Only last week in Ireland a court awarded a family 500 Euros each from an hotel because they refused to let them pay cash. True story.  I told her it had cost me a lot of money to get here from Ireland.  She tried not to laugh and we exited the building

We walked out the door and looked for a campsite we had seen advertised online with basic facilities and compost toilets.  Google Maps sent us walking along the road to Bristol.  We eventually walked back to town and a very kind man in a Tourist Information office drew monius a arrow  to follow on a guide of the town.  

We walked 3 miles uphill and found the campsite.  It was picturesque looking over the Gloucester countryside and old houses and a church.  The campsite owner was really friendly and said the land and his house dated back to the English Civil War.  His house and landowners support the Cromwell side.

We booked the campsite for two nights and he only charged us ten Pounds each per night.  It was so peaceful and full of wildlife.

Tomorrow I will tell  and show you some photos about visiting Slad and Seeing John Cale in Concert.  Hope you're enjoying my road trip?


25 comments:

  1. Ten pounds per night is a true bargain compared to 190 pounds! So sorry to hear about the blisters and pain though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The campsite was picturesque and very reasonably priced River. A lot of businesses don't seem to want cash anymore. It must very difficult especially for old people who don't use computers or have bank cards. I hope carboot sales don't become cashless. Big Brother seems to be in charge of our money and where we stay. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do Travelodge...cheaper than the premier..but still if you book online it is cheaper, even if you are standing in the reception doing it on your computer of whatever size!

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of them like cash though GZ. It's l8ke being homeless. No bank account, no bank card. "NO THANKS!" We are moving to a cashless society. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wrong. Its too easy to find and book online

      Delete
    2. I don't have a bank card and like to pay cash GZ. The same thing happened in Oxford and Kent last year. They don't want to cash paying customers.

      Delete
  5. You're a hero Dave. After looking for room in the Inn so you could relax you then walked back into town and then 3 miles uphill. Have your feet recovered yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I am enjoying your road trip, thank you for posting it. I am thinking of using small B & B's for overnight stops, where the owner is glad of a few extra quid in their pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meanqueen. I agree with you we should use the small independent b and b and campsite businesses that feel homily and appreciate cash.

      Delete
  7. Tomorrow Linda I will tell you when Iwalked 3 miles uphill to visit Slad Linda. No they are not fully healed yet but I am gardening and dog walking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. I am enjoying your road trip tales but I am sorry to read about your blisters and sore feet. What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not the first time that my feet have let me down YP. My travelling friend didn't get one single blister. Tomorrow It's Laurie Lee Country. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, blisters can really ruin a holiday! Have you tried double-skin socks? They sell them for runners who get blisters so may help your poor feet too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I taped them up with hikers blister tape JayCee but they still eventually blistered. Must look for double skinned socks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe you had the same trouble with contactless payment cards only being accepted when you last came over to England. You seem to have been caught out again. Perhaps a set amount of cash on a contactless debit card might help next time, just reserved for the travelling expenditure that might require the card. Or a credit card can be used as contactless and paid off later. I am sorry you had the blisters. I was watching a documentary the other night about a man walking through India and he was well kitted out and prepared and he also got terrible blisters. I look forward to seeing the next post. Thanks Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rachel. You are quite right we had the same problems in England last year buying drinks, booking hotels and campsites. I feel sorry for anyone turning up to such an estate and not pre booked or only have cash on them. Thanks.

      Delete
  13. 190 £ per night in a Premier inn is criminal. Even if I did have a card I wouldn't pay that. However it is not surprising what blistered feet and exhaustion will make anyone consider even if only momentarily. I think you need to draw us a map of your entire route Dave and don't leave out any of the retraced steps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tiggers Mum. It was a Tuesday afternoon the carpark was half empty and there was no we were paying for an hotel room with no breakfast. Like I said to Rachel it's the weary cash paying traveller I feel sorry for.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your poor feet! Were your shoes the problem? That is a crazy price for a room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hurt my knee a month before Debband never practised walking enough. Hospitality in England can be heartless.

      Delete
    2. I hurt my knee Debby a month before Sorry.

      Delete
  16. Visiting Slad - that's Cider With Rosie territory. Are there any Laurie Lee trails around there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely people Yes Will. Well worth visiting.

      Delete
  17. Your feet made that truly a penitential walk. I'm so glad your blisters didn't get infected - that's the danger, isn't it. My husband and I both get seriously anxious if we haven't booked every step of our journeys, and carry at least two copies of the full itinerary with us, to be consulted five times a day!! We'd never cope with you as a travelling partner! I thought merchants were legally obliged to accept cash? I'm pretty sure they are in little old New Zealand - perhaps we're behind the times. I hope you're all healed now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia. I carry bookings for concerts, plane flights and hotel bookings on my phone. But I also carry paper printouts in case I lost my phone or the battery went dead. Charging your phone is a big problem when hiking and camping.

      There doesn't seem to be a law in England over places refusing cash. What ever happened to "cash is king?" Thanks.

      Delete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...