Monday 25 January 2021

Giving The Lawns A Trim When It's Too Wet To Mow Them.


 It wasn't  raining the other day so I decided to give the lawns a trim with the petrol strimmer.  The grass was too wet and long to mow it.  Hopefully the frost will knock back the growth a bit too.

It took me about an hour in total and then to sweep the grass off the paths.  I will see if the grass dries out before raking  the grass trimmings up.  

I noticed the herbaceous borders need pruning and a thorough weeding.  But they will after wait until the weather warms up and the ground is no longer saturated. 

The hedges are next.  They never stop growing.  Like some one said about the definition of an hedge: 

A statement of man's arrogance against nature.

At least I  have made a start outside in the garden.  Have you ventured outside in the garden or allotment yet?

Did you hear about the Greenkeeper who use to pour whisky on his greens so the grass came up half cut?


10 comments:

  1. Nothing like an early start. Ours gets its first cut in spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Living on the Gulf Stream and with it being so wet and mild the grass never seems to stop growing. Hopefully the frost will have knocked the growth back a bit. Thanks JayCee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best things about winter in South Yorkshire is the fact that you do not have to mow your grass or cut your hedges. Mind you, some women still insist on trimming their bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. Especially when it snows and every garden looks the same. I have read that people wishing to sell their houses should polish their knobs and trimming their bushes.😊 Well I suppose first impressions matter most? Moving swiftly on. It's supposed to be a good idea to make fresh bread so the house smells of hmm...bread! Thanks YP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We (husband) managed a late cut of the lawn last year, so it doesn't look too bad. It's way too wet for mower wheels for a while. The hundreds of daffs and crocus that we've planted over the years are growing through nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear the bulbs are doing fine the veg artist. I often use the strimmer when it's too wet to mow. The Ransoms (wild garlic) are putting in appearance with their stalks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have to shovel the snow off first, which I am not at all interested in doing. I'll wait to spring comes. On the plus side, I have purchased seeds to go with the ones I have already saved, and I should be able to plant them at the end of February. I'm excited about that, alright!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debby. The rain came last night and washed away the frost and ice. We're going to start collecting vegetable seeds and seed potatoes over the next few weeks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing much going on in our garden but we have loads of lemons and the other citrus trees have fruit. The lettuces are going to seed and the rocket is finished. I didnt plan very well this winter. They usually last till March at least.
    Sunshine and rain. Sure is the right combo for everything to grow. especially the weeds

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi LA. Your growing seasons are different to ours. You've mentioned this before and I have noticed in the Algarve they grown crops in winter which we grow in summer. Yes the weeds always get in front of us. I'm itching to get digging but the ground is too cold and saturated. All I can do is strim, water and potter about in the polytunnel and go for walks. Roll on a dry Spring. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Growing Parsnips In Big Plant Pots

  I watched a different YouTube video about growing  parsnips the other day.   I cut off the bottoms of some small plastic plant pots and  p...