Sunday 17 January 2021

The Oily Spade.

 I once worked on a golf course for a few years.  The Greenkeeper insisted that every hand tool was cleaned under a cold water tap, painted with oil and hung on it's own nail.  This was EVERY DAY.   

There was one ancient spade that must have been painted with more oil in a year than the spade was worth.

I would often ask why couldn't we clean and oil the tools once a week?  But no they had to be done every day.   

Now a days when I have finished gardening.  I rub the tools in some grass and put them away in the shed or "Portugal" my polytunnel.    There's no way I am going to spend my time dipping my paintbrush in a tub of oil and painting my spade.









12 comments:

  1. Is "dipping my paintbrush in a tub of oil" a metaphor for sex? And another question: Was the head greenkeeper called Oswald Mosley by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a great person outside of work. In work he had "his" ways. Golfers can be strange too. I once met a golfer playing golf in the fog with his leg in plaster walking down the fairway on his own and dressed up like Rupert Bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutwood lived up to its name?

      Delete
    2. Had you been eating magic mushrooms Dave?

      Delete
    3. Are they the little ones with the nipples YP? Or maybe they were Fusarium or Fairy rings that live underneath golf greens. Congratulations again Grandpa Pudding.

      Delete
  3. Yep. You're very well read JayCee.😊 Rubert Bear annuals are very collectable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He must have saved the golf club a lot of money which would have been spent on tools but I wonder if whoever is there now still does the same. He obviously loved the job to be so dedicated

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda. There was sense with everything going back on it's own nail but it really annoyed me cleaning tools and painting oil on them when you would be using them again the very next morning. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very much like your post of yesterday. Since Portugal is your domain, you can leave the tools where ever you wish. However, I will stick to my original advice: Do not offer helpful household hints. They will annoy J just as much as the Greenskeeper's hints annoyed you all those years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. The shoe was on the other foot when I worked at the golf ⛳ course Debby. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been cleaning my secateurs and loppers with methylated spirit recently - a couple of our trees have canker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tasker. Good idea. Jeyes Fluid is very good too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Daffodils In A Old Tractor Tyre In The Polytunnel.

 Repurposing my Ford 3000 tyre for a planter in the polytunnel. I told you I wouldn't post a veggie post today.   Do you think the Tate ...