Wednesday 20 January 2021

Trouble At Polytunnel.

 I noticed a foot long rip in the plastic of "Portugal" my polytunnel yesterday.  We made a patch on  the inside with some plastic and used polytunnel repair tape to hold the patch on.  It was raining and the plastic and the tape was wet and not wanting to stick.

I looked this morning and it seems to be working.  If it's dry tomorrow we will attempt to put some tape on the outside of the tunnel.

In fairness we have had our money's worth out of the polytunnel plastic covering.  It's been on the frame since 2013 and it's survived some of the worst gales in living memory.

The man with the Dublin accent who delivered the tunnel kept saying to us: "If you have any problems, it's on the web!"   I kept repeating "It's  on the web" for months". 

So I Googled polytunnel plastic plastic on "the web".  Apparently if you start seeing rips on the plastic seams it means the sun (Haha that's a good un) is starting to break the plastic down.  The plastic is also very milky.

Flipping heck.  It will cost over 200 Euros for new polytunnel plastic and best of all.  Yours truly will have to dig trenches to retrieve the buried plastic and then fold it up and take it to the local recycling centre.  I am hoping the patch works and "Portugal "lasts a bit longer.  At least until I can find some work or sell some of my shrubs and perennials.  There's going to be  no carboot sales for yonks.  Bloody Covid!






17 comments:

  1. There once was a polytunnel in our garden, several owners ago according to our neighbours. We are forever finding bits of plastic in the earth. It can last for years when it wants to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have found the plastic remnants of former polytunnels when I have been gardening in other people's gardens. It takes a very long time to break down. Polytunnels are a necessary evil in the garden. Rather like plastic water barrels, even plant pots. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it lasts until the summer at least. Good for you for recycling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda. It's done well to last long to say we live so close to the bay which is part of the Atlantic Ocean. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't quite understand poly tunnels. They are green houses, but then, you remove the plants to the outdoor gardens? Or do you roll up the plastic sides and leave the things growing inside? The latest Mother Earth magazine has a write up on them, and I thought of you immediately. When I get a moment to myself, I plan to read up on the topic. What sort of tape are you using for the repair?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debby. Polythene or polytunnels are made of metal hoops and covered in plastic. Trenches are dug and the plastic is stretched and placed in the trench and covered with shovels of soil to prevent the plastic blowing away. They reach temperatures of 40 degrees in summer. Thats why I call mine "Portugal." Polytunnel repair tape is a sticky clear tape. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your patch works Dave. 200 euros sounds expensive.
    We are forever trying to patch our pond liner as it has a permanent leak. Every time P sticks a patch over a tear, another one forms. It is only 45 years old for goodness sake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks JayCee. You would think it would last longer than 45 years? πŸ˜€ Tell P to take it back and ask for his money back. πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why not start up a crowd funding appeal for new polythene for Portugal? I would be happy to contribute £5 or indeed five euros. £5 from The Veg artist, £5 from Debby, £5 from local alien and £50 from JayCee. That's £70 right there. Mrs Northsider could make a basket of West Cork Pasties and sell them to local people while your sons could go busking for cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP you are too generous, but you appear to have accidentally missed off two zeros from your contribution.

      Delete
    2. We Yorkshiremen are notoriously tight-fisted JayCee - why there's even a padlock on my wallet.

      Delete
  10. Thank for your kind offers but they won't be necessary.😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. That YP. He's a problem. Solver. A problem solver I meant to say. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's a character and always makes me laugh Debby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ears are burning. Somebody must be talking about me.

      Delete
  13. Mine were too. Not a bad day here today weatherwise.



    ReplyDelete
  14. Last week I dug out the remains of our 14x28 foot polytunnel that had lasted well but eventually collapsed under two foot of snow a few years ago. I'd dug the trench deep and, after backfilling, placed very heavy roadside kerb stones on it. Add in all the long and strong raspberry, nettle etc. roots that had been enjoying the damp trenches and it was seriously hard work. Our next, bigger, polytunnel will have boards at ground level and be tensioned by jacking it up with adjustable clamps. I don't want to be doing all that digging out again in a few years when I'll be in my 60s. :)

    ReplyDelete

Seconds Out. Round Two.

 I beat the cats 4 2 last night.  But something had been digging in 2 of the parsnips and carrots πŸ₯• barrels. Thanks for you comments and ad...