Saturday, 10 December 2016

Bake Potatoes The Grow And Cook Way.

That's the torn and Sellotape (patented in 1933) cover of our Grow and Cook by Violet Stephenson.  It came out  in 1976.  It's one of my favourite gardening/cook books. Violet Stephenson tells the reader how to grow them and how to cook them.  I found the book on a car boot sale in Cheshire about twenty years a go.  Think I paid 20 Pence for it.  I know,  but you have got to splash out sometimes.



Baked potatoes in their jackets the Violet Stephenson way. 

We used Wilson's Country Navan potatoes for the above.  Scrub them and slit around the centre to break the skin.  Rub them all over with a little olive oil or dripping (beef dripping butties!) and then lightly sprinkle them with SEA salt.  Place them on the oven shelf all allow about an hour at a moderate heat.  Or just so you can put a fork through them and they are brown on the outside and cooked.  We have a solid fuel range so the heat is never constant.  

They are delicious.  Some times we have Chili with ours.  My mum use to call them "David's potatoes."   I think it's because I found the recipe and she loved them.  The credit should go to my other half though.  She watches them while they are cooking and she took the photograph.  

Have you a favourite gardening or cook book?  

8 comments:

  1. An old treasure. Wonderful when you get a bargain like that with recipes that really work. I am putting potatoes into the top of our wood stove tonight. I usually just pop them in plain but I'll try the oil and salt this time. They have got to be just that little bit tastier and slitting the skin. I sometimes prick the potatoes with a fork but usually forget. Roll on tonight. I made the irish potato cakes and loved them, and took photos. You'll see them on my blog one day. Traditional other half thought they were too dull. His loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LA. I often look for old cook and gardening books in bookshops and car boot sales. Let me know if you like them please! I think sea salt is far nicer than commercial salt - no chemicals! I look forward to seeing your potato cakes. If you serve two of them with baked beans, You won't need another meal for hours. I suppose you could spice them up with Chili flakes..? Irish and English food is plain compared to Mediterranean food. I love variety and tonight we are on Balti beef curry with Pitta bread instead of rice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The potatoes were much tastier done this way. Thanks for the tip. Next time I make the potato cakes I'll put in chives and some chilli as you suggest. I did them in oil and I really think they would be better in real butter...for me anyway. Salted butter has a glorious taste of its own!!

      Delete
    2. It's worth writing blog posts when you get a comment like your one LA. Thanks for trying them out.

      Delete
  3. We had lamb chops and baked potatoes and sprouts. Leicester are running rings around Man City at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I watched the match Rachel. Funny old game. I wonder if City will spend big in the January transfer window? Sounds like a great meal. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Old books are the best, I credit the dairy book of home cookery (1968) for teaching me the basics of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsty. Old books are very good. We have a book for professional chefs. Every meal turns out great. Thanks!

      Delete