Thursday, 15 December 2016

Staring At Lakes Or Even The Bay.



Last week I featured a book by Mike Harding.  This week I read (ate) a book called: Staring at Lakes.  It's an award winning memoir by an Irish writer called Michael Harding.


 The book was very funny and so so emotional.  He writes a myriad of thoughts down; Does God exist? Mid life crisis, depression, sadness, lying in a coffin, melancholy,failing health, love, Christianity, Buddhism,the loneliness of being an artist or even a writer, even a human being...?

I read the book in two days and found it profoundly poetic and very moving.  I found emotions inside me that I thought I had locked up and thrown away the key.  Especially when my mother died in 2012.   For me the book was like opening a ribbon containing old letters from a loved one.  I cried inside when I read this book.  It's beautiful and I am going to buy his other 2 memoirs.

I won't spoil the book for you, but...  One evening his wife suggest they drive to the lake.  So they get into the car and drive there and park up and just stare.  They don't talk they just stare and think.  I do it myself looking at Bantry Bay, every day.  Thinking thoughts like: is life futile, does God exist, why are we here, will we ever see our loved one's again..?  I am sure the same thoughts my ancestors thought years, a go staring at the bay.

Sun going down on Bantry Bay.  A view from our garden.  

10 comments:

  1. a book to add to the list to read. The sea view is lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the book could be added to your book club list Sol. I really like Dickens book for December. What an amazing social reformer and his Christmas message is still so relevant. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Loved reading your post Dave. Makes me feel better. Sod the book. No only joking, I will look out for the book too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love to hear Rachel. I think you would like the book too.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good read. I'll check it on amazon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see he's written a lot of books. Hope I enjoy this one because it is great when find an author you like and read more!

      Delete
    2. Yes LA I know of at least three books he's written. I am going to get his other two soon. We have been to Cork today with my son to see an orphopeadic doctor (nothing serious) and the doctor came from Malta. Said he liked the Irish weather better than hot Malta. My son offered to swap our house for his in Malta. He just laughed.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful tender and thoughtful post. I must look out for this book. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley UK. It's a beautiful book and I am sure you would enjoy it!

      Delete