Wednesday 21 August 2024

A Canal Walk From Banbury To Cropredy Village..





Canal boats on the Oxford canal.
We got up at 3.30 in the morning and J drove me to Cork airport. 

I caught the plane to Birmingham airport and took a train to Banbury for twenty Pounds.  I was there for five to nine in the morning.

I wasn't meeting my friend and travel companion until three in the afternoon.  I didn't want to hang around all day in the town centre so I decided to follow the canal to Cropredy village.

Of course there was no finger post sign to tell me if I was walking to Oxford or to Cropredy.  Luckily a man on a boat pointed me in the right direction.

It was a very hot day and my loaded rucksack felt heavy and I was wearing my jacket and I began to sweat profusely.

I took photos of some of the narrow boats and it looked people lived permanently on some of them.  

I even saw vegetables and plants growing on them in pots.  I don't  think I could live on a narrowboat permanently, could you? The speed limit is only 4 miles and hour and I wouldn't like to negotiate locks or live on the canal when it freezes.  

I always like walking along the towpaths in England and think of the Irish navvies in particular who dug them with a shovel.  

I saw ducks, fish surfacing, an elegant swan and a heron.  It doesn't take long for nature to make these waters natural habitats for flora and fauna.

The towpath was eroded in places and one part of the canal was very noisy with a motorway and railway line running next to it.

I walked the five miles into Cropredy village and bought a pork pie and a scotch egg and a bottle of water at a grocers and off licence.  

Then I walked up the road to see if I could find our old farmer friend to drop my rucksack off and pitch my tent!

"TENT!"

Where was my tent?  It was missing  from being tied to my rucksack.

I don't know if I had lost it at the airport or on my canal walk. I carried on up the road and of course I could not find the camp site.  So I carried on to the main road and found it very busy to cross.  There was no pavement.  Just overgrown verges and lorries and cars thundered past.

Of course there was no bus stops and I walked three miles along  the main road back to Banbury.

I found a Trespass shop in a shopping centre and bought a tent reduced to forty Pounds from one hundred.  

Then I met my friend in Wetherspoons and bought a pint of cider for 2.74.  Then we walked to the bus station and paid 2 Pounds to go back to Cropredy village.  We found the two Pounds bus fare in many places we visited on this trip.  

We found the old farmers camping site deserted but luckily we found  a campsite for motor homes and  caravans and the owner  allowed us to pitch our tents for the night.  I was very tired and I had began to think my my camping trip was turning into a nightmare.

Next day would be the start of the festival and seeing some good music.  I will tell you more in another post.
 

22 comments:

  1. Oh dear. What a start to your trip. It can only get better after that ... can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was holding the door open for everyone when they were giving out luck and commonsense JayCee. I can't get over what it is like to have a bed and electricity. 11 days under canvas was too much. Some one here said to me: "Until next year". Thanks😃.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the best start, but as they say, things can only get better, Marlene, Poppypatchwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No not the best of starts Marlene. I honestly wonder if the people putting in the plane hold took the tent off my rucksack because it was very wide. When I got back to Cork yesterday my tent came up one conveyor belt and my rucksack came up another one 5 minutes later. It's like the comment on my old school report: "David must pay more attention"! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been along that stretch of the Oxford canal by boat. Takes an age to get nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well, it wouldn't be an adventure without one or two things going wrong. I think it just makes us stronger and more resilient and we pick ourselves up and just get on with it. The canal walk sounds interesting with all the things you saw on the canal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally know where you are coming from Sue.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also totally know where Sue is coming from - Suffolk!

      Delete
    2. I once had a Suffolk Punch cylinder lawnmower YP.

      Delete
  8. You know me Rachel. With my Sisyphus Complex carrying my boulder for eternity. I miss England so much yet Ireland calms me down. England is truly a beautiful country. Thanks Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the boat name 'momentary loss of reason'🤣 - sorry to read about tent loss but you got a good deal on the new one. We have recently tried some farm campsites - they are only allowed to be open for 60 days in a year, but there are some real crackers out there to choose from. Hopefully your feet will be blister free this year Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TM. We didn't walk so much like last year and I changed my trainers to sandals every few days. I am tired of carrying a tent and a rucksack. It was too long a trip. Four or five days is long enough at my age.

      Delete
  10. I am glad you had time to purchase another tent. That was quick-thinking Dave and £40 was not too bad. In England, by law, the current maximum you pay for any public bus journey is £2 but of course this does not apply to National Express.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a discouraging start to your adventure, but without a few troubles on the way, you couldn't really call it an adventure now, could you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Camping on foot and using public transport can be very tiring and problematic Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The canals must be very interesting to walk beside. Your trip is quite an adventure, so far

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not the best start to your trip, but £2.74 for a cider wasn't bad.
    Only yesterday, me and Lily had the living on a narrowboat conversation. We decided against, for the same reasons as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wetherspoon's is so cheap and great to charge your phone Jules. I bought a freedom breakfast for 4.44. You could pay 15 Euros for a cooked breakfast over here in Ireland.

      Delete
  15. The canals are wonderful water routes Linda. Steeped in industrial history and enshrouded with nature. The towpaths are generally flat and great for a saunter upon.

    ReplyDelete

Three Big Balls Of Wool From A Carboot Sale Make A Really Cheap Hand Knitted Arran Ladies Jumper.

 Twelve months ago J bought 3 large balls of wool for 3 Euros! I know.  But you have got to be a spend thrift some times. Some one said she ...