Friday 30 August 2024

Visiting Dorset Again!

 Our last visit to Dorset was in 2018.

We changed trains at Southampton and caught a train to the village of Wool and its only five minutes walk to the campsite that we had stayed before.

The gate was locked and there was an intercom to talk to the campsite proprietors.  I asked my learned friend to speak to them rather me with my broad South East Lancashire accent and colloquial vocabulary.   Not bad for a published author 😊.  He told them we were on a Thomas Hardy literary tour and would it be possible to camp for a few days?

The gate opened and we walked through on foot with no car in tow.

I paid for 3 days camping with my money card .  There was no way I was going to be refused cash like previous trips to the south of England.

We pitched our tents and walked to Spar for food and tins of cider.  Then we went on a 8 mile walk in the evening to the village of Moreton.  Here's some photos for your perusal:















We found Lawrence of Arabia's grave in a little cemetery and a church with Whistler engraved windows. 

This is where the T E Lawrence funeral service was held.   Mrs Thomas Hardy and Winston Churchill were two of the famous mourners. 

Unfortunately the Germans blew up the church and a new church was built complete with Whistler windows.

We looked at the old thatched cottage buildings in the village and walked back to the campsite.  I drank a can of cider along the way.

More Dorset tomorrow.

13 comments:

  1. An 8 mile walk there then back again? That must have worked up a thirst.
    It sounds like a very interesting village with its history attached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four miles each way JayCee. Plus the 5 mile walk along the canal in the morning. A few of the locals (holiday home owners) looked at us suspicious but chilled a bit when we mentined Lawrence of Arabia and Thomas Hardy. A nice English village.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mentioned even. Aren't folk miserable with their comments?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Aren't folk miserable with their comments?"
    I don't think that I am miserable Dave! I was just going to say that Lawrence of Arabia really got around. I remember my father talking about Lawrence riding through Malton, Yorkshire on his motorbike long before WWII was ever conceived. This must have been when he was posted to RAF Bridlington. Lawrence lived a helluva of a life but as far as we know he never had an intimate relationship with anybody else - man or woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting YP. He really was a brave man and I wonder what he would think about the Middle East today? I am thinking of writing less blog posts and getting back to writing my gardening book.

      Delete
  5. I loved going through the old churches and their cemeteries and seeing names that I recognized from reading or history. But...13 miles in one day? Oh dear. I feel like a regular slacker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby. Life is so important when the famous are alive and seemingly meaningless when they are gone. I love walking.

      Delete
  6. It looks like you had some lovely weather for your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had fabulous weather and just two wet nights Jules. A particularly stormy night in Kent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great posts about your trip Dave. I haven't read Roger Scruton's book that you mentioned to me but will endeavour to get a copy soon. I thought of Gertrude Bell when you spoke of T E Lawrence. Her life was very interesting spent in the Middle East and she met up with Lawrence. Your Dorset literary tour was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rachel. I think the book is on Kindle? It really made me like England again. I love Dorset. Lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely area. Full of charm and history. Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Linda. You would love Dorset.

    ReplyDelete

Three Big Balls Of Wool From A Carboot Sale Make A Really Cheap Hand Knitted Arran Ladies Jumper.

 Twelve months ago J bought 3 large balls of wool for 3 Euros! I know.  But you have got to be a spend thrift some times. Some one said she ...