Sunday 25 August 2024

Around Cropredy Village.

 Here are some photos I took walking round Cropredy village:

Some kind person had a glut of Courgettes me thinks?
Old milestone.  I took this on my mad walk on the first day.
A pint of 2 pounds 74 pence Doombar bitter in Wetherspoons in Banbury on the first day.
Lest we forget!
Chocolate box cottages.
Scotch egg and pork pie from the Off licence Grocers.  He didn't like 20 pound notes.  Eventually he gave me my change in one Pound coins.  I said:

"It all spends doesn't it?"


My new tent on the right.  It had three poles and guess who erected the tent with the large and small pole?  I was too tired to sort it and climbed in my canvas hovel.
Rosie and Jim retired from the Oxford canal and now live in a "des res" in Cropredy village.
No one can build ex farm labourers cottages like the English.  The cottage herbaceous perennial flowers and picket fences could have won first prize at Chelsea Flower Show.
There was the flag of St George on top of the church spire.  It was so quintissentially real olde worlde England.
The Blacksmiths is now someones residence.
Pirates live on Creampot Lane.

I took these going for my English breakfast in the village hall.  It cost six pounds and run by local volunteers.  What lovely and amiable people who worked so hard with smiles on their faces.  

I wish they worked inside the festival providing inexpensive home cooked food instead of the food sellers who rip people off.  I paid six pounds for a Welsh pasty called an Oggie.  It was the cheapest food on offer.  Some people paid fifteen pounds for their food!

Hope you liked my photos and tour of Cropredy village?

19 comments:

  1. Great photos of the village Dave. I feel like I know where you went now. I am glad it all turned out alright in the end. The tent was a bit wonky but it gave you the cover you needed for a good sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I love Oxfordshire villages and towns. The tent kept me dry and I pitched it right after 11 days practice.

      Delete
  2. Festival food always feels a rip-off...but it is only the punters at the end of the line of rip-offs...having a stand at any sort of festival or fair is expensive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes GZ I agree. I would sell stuff cheaper than others to get my pitch fee back.

      Delete
  3. I also get annoyed by the food prices at events and festivals. It does often feel like you are being ripped off, for what is usually something quite mediocre.
    Great photographs, although I'm sure I spotted Rosie and Jim in Skipton, the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Jules. At least Cropredy festival let you bring your beer into the arena. We found off licences selling Newky Brown and cider. I think Rosie and Jim saw you looking at Bolton Abbey.😃

      Delete
  4. A very pretty village. Did you reconstruct your tent after that first night?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes a very pretty village JayCee. It reminded me of Dorset. I bet you can't guess where we are visiting after here? I failed to read the instructions. But it did look correctly pitched on several occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love having photo's as a memory of good times, I would have walked to the village for breakfast as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Marlene our blogs preserve our travel memories. The village hall breakfasts were excellent and home made and feshly baked bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been to Cropredy even though I was a big fan of Fairport Convention in their early days. My friend Mike who I will be seeing tonight has been to the festival several times. Thanks for showing us around the village.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been twice to Cropredy YP. I am looking to go to a Prog festival abroad next year. Glad you like Cropredy village.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Serious questions: What is the difference between a courgette and a marrow? and What is an off license grocer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me thinks Debby a Courgette is a small Marrow and a Marrow is a large Courgette. A Marrow is when the Courgette has matured.

    An Off licence grocers is a shop that is a food shop that is licensed to sell alcohol.

    Here in Ireland there are Spirit Grocers. I know of one that had a grocers in the front. A bar in the middle and a Blacksmiths out back.

    Not far from here there was a Shebeen in the Caha mountains that was an unlicensed premises that was an illegally operated drinking establishment that sold alcohol like poteen (moonshine) and porter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always best to practice pitching a tent... but no doubt you sorted it in teh end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to here from you Mark. I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to modern tents. Give me an old fashioned ridge tent any day. Yes I sorted it in the end. I should have read their book of assembly instructions.😊

    ReplyDelete

Harvesting The Purple Rain Potatoes.

 I dug up the Purple Rain potatoes that we grew in my new plastic fym filled cut in half oil heating oil tanks. They looked muddy and pebble...