Thursday 29 August 2024

A Five Mile Walk Along The Canal To The Train Station.

 Yesterdays blog was probably my most heart felt blog this year yet it seemed to resonate with very few comments.

Any road:

On the Sunday morning we rose at 5.30 and packed our rucksacks and folded up the tents.

My friend had managed to book really cheap split railway tickets to Dorset.  Not forgetting the lady ticket clerk at the train station who had the patience of Job helping us find cheap train off peak tickets. 

The first bus to Banbury was 8.30 and we could not be sure of a place.  So we decided to walk the five miles in the opposite direction to Banbury.  After all I had walked to Cropredy on the Wednesday  had I not? 

Of course there was no sign post for Banbury so we asked a man serving coffees to two ladies from his mobile vending machine.  He thankfully pointed us in the right direction and we walked  back to town with an hour and half to spare before our train arrived.  Here's some photos I took on my mad hike on the first day:













Dorset tales tomorrow.  This is turning into a small book.  Hope you are finding my rambles enjoyable?


10 comments:

  1. I read your post yesterday Dave. I didn't have anything that I thought I could say. I am enjoying your posts on your visit to England. I wish I could have bumped into you somewhere. I always listened to what Roger Scruton had to say and he is greatly missed today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel. Roger Scruton was a very Christian man and fantastic writer. He always had his finger on the pulse. Have you read: England An Elegy Rachel? Brass bands, allotments...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canal boat owners are quite inventive...there are some very original names there. I am glad your feet survived all that walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must protest Dave! I thought you might at least get us on the train to Dorset in this blogpost. It's like a continuing drama - left on a cliffhanger... or maybe a coathanger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a shanks pony and public transport trip YP.

      Delete
  5. I imagine those miles would have passed quickly, walking canalside. I am enjoying your rambles :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The canals are lovely. I'd love to have a closer look at all those canal boats. Well done Dave, 5 miles carrying rucksacks and tents. You always make your holidays interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are lovely stretches of water Linda. I walked another 8 miles when we got to Dorset that evening.

    ReplyDelete

Polytunnel Big Tidy Up And Making Soup.

 I gave the polytunnel a big tidy up this week. We harvested all the tomatoes and I laid the green and yellow ones out on two tables.  I als...