Wednesday 28 August 2024

The Echoes Snigger Briefly.

 On my first day at Cropredy I walked through Cropredy and on to the village of Great Bourton and back along a nettle and grass verge back to Banbury.  Without a bus stop anywhere to be seen.  The village is just up the Banbury Road from Cropredy Village.  

I told my friend of an interesting looking old church and the village and a campsite I had past by on the Wednesday.

We both share an interest in ecclesiastical old buildings.  So after another hearty breakfast in the village hall and before the bands started playing we sauntered up the road and here's some photos I would like to share with you:












The blog title is a line from a poem by Philip Larkin called 'Church Going':



I'm a lapsed Anglican but I have never lost my love of the Church of England and its many beautiful churches.  

I visited several churches on my recent trip to Blighty.  Some Church of England and some Roman Catholic.

I will share some of them in the next week or so when I write about visiting Dorset, Chichester, Kent and Oxford.

George Orwell said the Church of England was a preserve of the landed gentry.  I think they are more than that.  They are places where people meet together and attempt to talk/ listen to God.

Roger Scruton in his fabulous England An Elegy book writes so beautifully with his love for the Tory party at prayer(C of E) and the way it is such a broad church with so many beliefs under one roof.

Perhaps I should visit some churches in Ireland?  The car boot sales seem to be my distraction these days😄.


13 comments:

  1. That is a great blog post title.
    I am not a believer in any deity in any form but I do find most churches to be quite beautiful, large or small they all have a certain essence.
    I even live in one now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in Hull, on a weekend Philip Larkin would often pedal out into the East Yorkshire countryside, sometimes stopping to inspect village churches. It has been a long time since I read "Church Going". It is a very clever title. He is going to church but the church is "going" - its significance fading away. Thanks for sharing this Dave. Especially poignant as Larkin himself was reading it. I think of him as a sad man who knew little joy in his life and was slightly puzzled by the joys that other people experienced. Nonetheless, he was a giant of twentieth century poetry. Every word mattered and it was well-chosen too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you JayCee. Apparently 3500 churches have closed in the UK in the last ten years. Not to forget the village pubs and shops.

    That being and nothingness is so special and I picked up on so much peace when I visited these places of worship. Yes you live in a beautiful old ecclesiastical building/ home JayCee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that YP. I love watching old BBC documentaries with Philip Larkin, John Betjeman and Malcolm Muggeridge (I once saw him speak ) exploring these rural old churches and villages. I have met lots of Anglicans who were probably agnostic but still loved the beauty of the Church of England and its traditions and such beautiful buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old village church contains echoes from the centuries before - weddings, funerals, christenings and a community coming together, belonging. I have visited hundreds of English churches even though I am a lifelong atheist.

      Delete
  5. You sum it up very well YP. All those happy and sad thoughts and emotions trapped in the fabric of ancient church buildings. Some built on old pagan sites and even leylines. I don't think you need to be a believer to pick up on the past and the beauty of the ecclesatical surroundings. I feel spiritual in natural scenery and in the garden. These days I am more of an Animist than a Christian. Thankas for your wise thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a church goer but I like visiting the little churches here. And I like your church photos. There is usually a feeling of peace in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally know where you are coming from Linda. It's a peace that Passeth no understanding. I suppose that perfect peace will be our eternal reward. I think old English churches especially so inspiring. The people long ago built their big or modest church to the glory of God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just feel all the craft and skills in the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes GZ. I would also add prayer and thought. There are some amazing churches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will always take a look around an old church, if I'm passing. But I'd be more interested in the Parish Council noticeboard, and the goings on in the village.

    ReplyDelete

Three Big Balls Of Wool From A Carboot Sale Make A Really Cheap Hand Knitted Arran Ladies Jumper.

 Twelve months ago J bought 3 large balls of wool for 3 Euros! I know.  But you have got to be a spend thrift some times. Some one said she ...