Saturday 31 August 2024

Bournemouth, Christchurch and A Chris Isaak Concert. Forty Quid For A Tour Shirt And I Paid 6 Quid For A Charity Shop T Shirt And A Digital Watch!

 How is that for a long blog title?

More Dorset photos:

The house where Thomas Hardy said that Tess spent her honeymoon. Also called Woolbridge Manor.
Old bridge sign.  They have repaired the bridge since my last visit in 2018.
My tent on a better day.
Old coach house in Wool.
Sign of places to visit in Dorset.
The Black Bear pub..  

We caught a train on the Monday morning to Bournemouth.  It was very busy and the world and the wife seemed to have descended on Bournemouth.  Gorgeous young ladies piled out of the railway carriages and headed for the beach. 

My friend and I went on a reconnaissance mission seeking the concert venue to see Chris Isaak that very evening.  

I saw a middle aged man wearing a Bohemians football shirt displaying my beloved Thin Lizzy on the front and it gladdened my heart.  I fancied a nice pint of cold beer but I wasn't  paying 7 Pounds for the privilege.

I wanted a wrist watch. I was sick and tired of turning on my mobile phone to see what time it was before the Dawn Chorus birds played the Prog Rock  concert.  We walked into countless shops but we couldn't  find a cheap one anywhere.

We caught the train to Christchurch and I bought a cheap T shirt and a digital watch ( brand new battery  for 3 Pounds each).  I throw T shirts away and socks instead of carrying around dirty washing and buy newish shirts from charity  shops if I need them.

We visited the Minster and I met an elderly lovely lady who told me Henry the 8th visited the church twice and didn't wreck the ecclesiastical  building and now they have Henry the 8th weeks and: "Have I seen the Ladies Chapel?" What a lovely lady.  

I can't  get to have  many conversations with young lasses these days  but the mature ones seem to like me.  

I talked to a lovely mature lady called Elizabeth during Jasper Carrott at Cropredy.   I was Dave on his anorak mode talking about vegetables and herbaceous perennials and how fish get into water via birds carrying their eggs on their feet...  

Jasper made me laugh with his thoughts about the Covid lockdown...  Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on people's doors and saying:

"Jesus told me you were in!"

We caught the train back to Bournemouth and went to see Chris and his band.  They were excellent and very pleasant and entertaining but I couldn't  see their faces.  My lights (eyes)  are definitely fading.  It was a good and the beer was expensive so we didn't  partake and a man and woman paid 40 quid each for two tour T shirts! Stop the world I want to get 

We left before the end of the concert and Big Issue sellers asked us to buy a copy.  We walked back to the train station and caught the train back to Wool.


Here's some photos for you:

Chris Isaak and band.   It cost fifty quid for a ticket.  England is so expensive after Brexit.

A good gig enjoyed by all. I found this video on You Tube of the concert.  The dancing guitar players performance was very enjoyable and Chris compared his jazzy sequined suit to ice rink skaters.

Christchurch Priory.




Ladies chapel window.

Band Stand.  Oh howI love brass bands.
A couple waiting for Judgement Day since 1461.  Not long now!

More Dorset tomorrow.


16 comments:

  1. Another action packed day...you certainly got about on your trip.
    My niece and her young family live down in that part of the country and I shall be going down there next week to see them. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we got about JayCee. I love Dorset so much. There is history and beauty everywhere. I can't wait to see your posts and pictures. Bring us some pasties and cider back please and remember it's only two Pounds on the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary Share My Garden lives in Bournemouth. I'm sure she would have talked to you. She's but a young Yorkshire lass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this a real blog person Tasker?😊 Roy Chubby Brown once said: "She was a nice Yorkshire lass. She loved her udders feeled (Huddersfield). I think I could live in Dorset near a Wetherspoon's and allotments and Wessex places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I am right in saying that you had to leave the Chris Isaak concert early in order to get the train back to Wool? I had never heard of Wool before - apart from that stuff that sheep produce. Baaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes YP. We took a quick nineteen minutes walk to the station and caught the 10.50 train instead of the 11.20 last train. Wool is a nice Dorset village on the Weymouth to London Waterloo line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris Isaak must have been pissed off when he saw you slinking out. Did you make it back to "The Black Bear" for last orders?

      Delete
    2. We only ever went in Wetherspoon's pubs in Dorset YP. Chris seems really amiable and full of self deprecating humour. His Roy Orbison "Pretty Woman" was especially good.

      Delete
  7. Everything is expensive these days. I've never visited Dorset, so I'm enjoying your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is Jules. Wetherspoon's beer and food and the 2 pounds bus fares were the only things I found cheap on my recent visit to Blighty. You would like Dorset very much. It's definitely worth a few days exploring the place. More Dorset photos later. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the first photo. Makes me think maybe I should read 'Tess' again. Not sure if I've reread it since my university days... long ago...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Dawn. I am readingit again at the moment. I think it cost me 99 Cents on Kindle?
    There is a Jude The Obscure post whenwe get to Oxford. I also visit the Kilns and Tolkien and CS Lewis final resting places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot imagine rolling out of that tent, somehow, out of that in the morning and then walking miles to do it all over again. Aye, but you're a dedicated concert goer, history buff and hiker Dave.
    Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still tired Linda. I think four or five days staying in a Travelodge or similar would be right thing to do on future trips. There is nothing good about camping and carrying your house and belongings on your back. We did get to some good places though and saw some great bands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were in a fantastic part of Dorset. Did you get to visit Blue Pool while you were there? As for price of concerts and memorabilia i hear you. Outrageous prices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tigger's Mum. No I have just Googled Blue Pool just now. Outrageous prices for concerts and memorabilia and festival food and drink seem to becoming the norm. We watched Oasis on Sky Arts on tv last night from the old Wembley. I honestly don't know what the current hype is all about. I prefer small festivals with audiences of 5000 thousand or less. We went to A New Day in Kent and it was very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Three Big Balls Of Wool From A Carboot Sale Make A Really Cheap Hand Knitted Arran Ladies Jumper.

 Twelve months ago J bought 3 large balls of wool for 3 Euros! I know.  But you have got to be a spend thrift some times. Some one said she ...