Sunday 16 August 2015

Not Blogged For A Week.

I have felt a bit guilty of not posting much at the moment.  So what have we been up to on our smallholding?  We bought some more calves, cleaned some of our copper and brass collection.  We decided to lacquer the one's that are permanently on show to us.  A brass goat and a horse a miners lamp once belonged to my late dad.  So I have them in the kitchen/diner next to the television.  

We also cancelled Sky and I am regretting it very much.  There is no proper sport on terrestrial television.  I had to listen to the BBC Test coverage on You Tube and it's Football league highlights on Channel 5 on a Saturday night.   
We only really watch the Beeb channels, Channel 4 and 5 these days.  Except for Sky Sports and some of their other channels. So with an heavy heart we cancelled our 120 Euros a month subscription/mortgage.  It's a lot of money but when you don't live near a pub or have a social life (isolated life on a smallholding) it was worth paying it. Was it? Now I have just found out ITV aren't showing the Champions League this season.  Bloody hell!  Me thinks I might have to listen to my beloved Manchester United on the old web.   





The miners lamp came from the miners lamp company in Eccles (where the cakes come from) and I think it must of been a retirement gift because it doesn't show any scratches or dents.  It's sad (in a way) that the only reminder of our mining heritage is mine memorabilia and brass bands.  

Watched a BBC 3 or 4 documentary about Sellafield the other night.  Those eery lakes full of discarded isotopes, fuel rods ands nuclear waste left me thinking what a crime it was for the Tories to close down the mines.  There are said to be 200 years of coal still under the ground in the UK.  

Time for a song.  The Unthanks (the band I keep playing at the moment and saw live the other week) singing the: The Testimony Of Patience.  It's about a lady miner.  















The music reminds me of Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles.  Do you agree?  Who was your favourite Beatle?  It's John Lennon for me.  What a guy!  Till next time folks!

15 comments:

  1. Hey there. I have a few bits from my family, heirlooms if you like. I have sampler that needs attention, some pictures and my favourite my dads leather suitcase with the family name and his Army number on it. amazing how small it is and just how little he took to National Service, which became a life choice.

    I have nothing from my farming family. I may look to add some objects to the house once we are more settled and no more brick dust it could be a long time.

    ohhhh I cant think of a Beatle. hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sol,

      I haven't got a lot of my mum's stuff apart from ornaments and a cardboard box or royal family commemoration cups. I am not really into royalty but I will keep them because they belonged to my mum. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. The unthanks appeared in Trelawnyd a month or so ago ! Can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I remember reading about them on your blog John. I always read your blog every day even though I don't always leave a comment. Trelawnyd sounds a wonderful place to live. Don't see why you would to leave it. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I just wonder Dave why you don't seem to be interested in following the BANTRY BLUES Gaelic Football & Hurling Club ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really understand the Gaelic Heron. Much more football ("soccer") and cricket are my cup of tea. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Ah now sage advice from Heron Dave, make more sense following a proper sport. Oh and don't feel guilty about not posting...I haven't posting for what seems an age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I await your words of wisdom and brilliant anecdotes to read John. You could always tell us more of your fishing tales. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Could you not reduce your Sky subscription to cover just Sky Sport? That would reduce your monthly fee. I am disappointed about Sky losing the Champions League contract but can still get it for a fiver a month on BT Sport as a BT customer. Good luck. Whenever I speak to Sky about doing something to my subscription I find them very helpful and willing to do deals rather than lose me altogether. Perhaps you should investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel. Good results for the Arsenal and United this weekend. Chelsea seem to be off to a poor start. We have to subscribe to Setanta to get BT Sport. The Sky package is only a fiver cheaper if you get rid of the movies. Even ITV have lost their Champions League. We will take your advice and ring them tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not bogged as much as I'd like to either over the summer but I've been so busy so I wouldn't worry about it, we can all catch up in the winter! No sky TV here but then I never watch any sport, I think I've only watched two games of football in my whole life! and I was forced to with both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right Kev we can blog post more in the winter. I like watching English football and cricket on the television at night on Sunday afternoons. Terrestrial television covers very little sport these days. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to say Dave, I watched Villa and Man U on Friday night. Good result for United but I thought Rooney didnt really get into the game at all. Early days, let's hope he gets back to his normal self qjuickly. Good result too for Arsenal after that shaky start against West Ham. My favourite Beatle was George Harrison and later John Lennon, I think his song writing was the clever bit of the Beatles even though everything was always "Lennon McCartney".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rachel. Thought Bournemouth were unlucky last night. I think United need a top drawer striker. Rooney needs to get 20 goals or he will be replaced, me thinks.

    We managed to get an SAOR receiver and we are going to watch United tonight on TV3. Which is an Irish channel showing the Champions League.

    I often play the Beatles they wrote some really profound songs. Especially Lennon and McCartney.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you thought about freesat, if you still have the sky dish you buy the box mine cost about £30 then yo just plug it into the dish and you can pick up hundreds of channels no subscription needed, its the only way we can get TV here apart from sky that I refuse to pay for.

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...