Saturday 9 September 2017

Weeding, Green Manures And Transplanting My Leeks.

I have been a busy bee this week weeding the old veg plot and transplanting my leeks.  


 Me weeding.  A wheelbarrow full of weeds and my trusty Azada having a rest.  Its an amazing tool.  It blades away the weeds unlike spades and shovels that bring the topsoil with them.  

I once weeded an old ladies garden and she stood over me telling me to shake the soil from every weed I removed.  The weeds all get composted.  Do you compost your weeds?  The nettle, couch grass   and dock roots get disgarded.  Some people burn them or compost them under black plastic

Do you like my nettle hedge?


Leeks transplanted and feeling a bit forlorn and sorry for them selves.  Most of the plot is weeded now and I have ordered some Winter Tares for a green manure.  I will sow it on the vacant patches and then strim it and dig it in next Spring.  We have grown Mustard in the past.  Its a member of the Brassica family.  So you can't (shouldn't)plant Brassicas after it.  Have you ever grown green manures?   

Mustard is good for clearing wire-worm in  veg plots made from of old pasture.  I bought a plastic wheel barrow because my old metal one was full of iron worm.  The old ones are the best!

7 comments:

  1. All my weeds go on the compost except bind weed and couch grass. Because I collect up manure each day from the pigs and hen houses the weeds and other vegetative material gets nicely layered between and it gets the steam rising. Lovely sight. I like the idea of using an adze, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Philip. I us have some great steaming compost heaps when we housed the pigs and cattle and hens and ducks. We have no dung this year because we have sheep in the fields and our pigs were free range this year with an elecric fencer fence. I suppose I should go round picking up their muck from where they lived or get some cow manure from a farmer friend I know. Sounds like you have got your compost heap making to a fine art.

      The Azada is a grubbing hoe. I have seen them being used by council workers in Germany and Portugal this year. They are very good on the back and for working with in very hot countries. Thanks for your comment Philip.

      Delete
  2. A lot of hard work Dave. Do you eat the nettles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LA. Yes its hard work keeping the weeds and slugs at bay, espcially in a wet summer in Ireland. I have ate young neettles in a soup but I wasn't very keen on it. We have often made a nettle tea fertilizer for the vegetables and plants. I cut down the nettles and place them in a hessian sack or an old pillowcase. Then tie it up and weigh it down in a tub of water. Then a few weeks later, e dilute the tea with water and water it on the veg. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Now that sounds like something I should try. Thank You

      Delete
    3. Your welcome LA. Just make sure you dilute it with water, its very strong. Nettles have many uses like most wild plants. Army uniforms, bandages and ropes use to be made from nettles. Seaweed is another excellent fertilizer and its free.

      Delete

Protecting The Parsnips And Carrot Seedlings From Cats.

  Cats 🐈 😻 have been digging where we sowed the pregerminated parsnips and carrots 🥕  last week. I have talked to the likes of Domino, Ti...