Wednesday 20 June 2018

Doolin Folk Festival Part Two. Katie Theasby Smiled At Me!

My favourite turn (act) from Doolin Folk Festival was Katie Theasby.  I mentioned her before in a blog post post in March.  This was when I posted her You Tube video of the Finbar Furey song:  I Remember You Singing This Song.  

Any road or any way.  I got there early on Sunday afternoon before the biblical multitudes arrived and filled the new "Barn " building.  Katie Theasby and her band carried out a sound check and sung a song or three.  Then she was introduced and gave a wonderful performance.  She sang: I Remember You Singing This Song twice during her set.

It was Fathers Day and I was feeling tired and emotional and I had just watched the great Cork songwriter Jimmy Crowley upstairs on the White Horse stage.  He had been singing and talking about what really matters like family, home, God and beauty and a myriad of other things.  Well Katie singing I Remember You Singing This Song made me start to shed a tear or three I started to cough and wiped my eyes.  

Here's some photographs.






After the concert.  My old friend and me were having a pint of the black-stuff and Katie Theasby walked through the bar and I pointed (shouldn't point Dave) my finger at her.  Katie smiled back at us both.  I hope she makes it big, she deserves it!

Here she is singing the Bob Marley classic: Redemption Song.  The last picture is Katie playing tin whistle on this song.





11 comments:

  1. Thanks Dave for the Theasby track, very strong singing voice she has, and interesting pictures of the Doolin venue. Do you have any more photos of the coastline that you took while you were down there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel. We preferred watching the bands on in the afternoon than at night. Far too many revellers at night. Its easy to get to Doolin from Shannon airport: bus to Ennis then bus to Doolin. Will put some more photos from Doolin on my next post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has a powerful voice, I could actually hear the words, which is something that doesn't happen with a lot of today's femalesingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Valerie. Totally agree with you. A lot of modern music you can't hear the words. You can't beat live music. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No woman no cry.

    I'm hoping to pop down to the Danube Island Pop Festival for a look see. I think it's next week.

    Mrs Thatcher smiled a lovely smile at me one time. I remember thinking she's rather sweet, not iron at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once saw a former Tizwas poet singing: "No rum and no pie."

    The Danube Pop Festival sounds good. Please put some of it on your blog Gwil.

    I once talked to Barbara Castle. She was a political giant and really cared about the poor.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave, typical me, I got my dates mixed up. I'm now at a beer festival but it has a stage with performers. So it's a kind of pop festival ;-) . I've taken a couple of photos. But now moving to the football screening. Back at the music later if the rain holds off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gwil. Beer festival sounds great. Look forward to seeing your photos. Hope you're enjoying the football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my tea, as we used to call it: onion soup, garlic bread, lasagne, salad. Now it's tonight's the big match. The German press has the jitters.

      Delete
  9. Sounds a good tea Gwil. Didnt think Germany would have won but you never underestimate them. Hope they dont win the world cup again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Growing Parsnips In Big Plant Pots

  I watched a different YouTube video about growing  parsnips the other day.   I cut off the bottoms of some small plastic plant pots and  p...