Tuesday 9 January 2018

Tv Nostalgia.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable nights television viewing last night.  First we watched: One Foot In The Grave (" I don't believe it") then The Last Of The Summer Wine (I love the harmonica theme tune) and Goodnight Sweetheart.  

They are on every week day night on the Drama channel.  I (we) must of watched this time travel sitcom at least three times over.  But I never tire of its cleverness, the jokes, modern day songs and the Blitz spirit that got Britain through the Second World War.  Oh to time travel.  When would you have like to lived?  

I wish it was a soap opera every week and I would love to write some comedy scenes for it.

In the first episode Gary mentions the war time crooner AL Bowley.  He said he got killed by a parachute mine.  

Sure enough I looked him up and the story is true.  Al Bowley was returning from a concert when he was killed by a Lufftwaffe parachute mine outside his flat.  He is buried in a mass Blitz grave in Hanwell Cemetery in London.  

Here's the great man singing the theme tune.



13 comments:

  1. I never liked Last of the Summer Wine. I don't know why, never appealed to my sense of humour. I quite liked One Foot in the Grave. I was more of a Likely Lads person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them all Rachel. The Pythons, I Didn't Know You Cared, Ripping Yarns, Nearest and Dearest, The Grumbleweeds... Britain produced some wonderful comedies. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been following the re-run of the Heartbeat series, Yorkshire village life from the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cumbrian there have been some great comedies and dramas set in Yorkshire. Not forgetting wonderful films like Kez, Rita Sue & Bob Too, Little Voice, Brassed Off, American Werewolf in London.. Even Rising Damp is supposed to be set in Yorkshire. Thanks for your comment Cumbrian.

      Delete
  4. Here in the US I watch many new and old British TV shows with Britbox and AcornTV. The UK does wonderful comedies and mysteries; I am on a Father Brown and Campion kick at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terra. Its great that you watch the British shows. I love a lot of American and Canadian rock groups. Kansas are my favourite. Thanks for your comment Terra.

      Delete
  5. UK TV is taking a slide down lately. I have to hunt through the programmes for something worth watching and usually end up switching off and listening to radio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would watch old episodes of Last of the Summer Wine and One Foot in the Grave etc. if it wasn't for the canned laughter. For me it's a real turn-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwil. I agree with you about the awful canned laughter. Last of The Summer Wine makes me smile at their child like silliness and One Foot In The Grave is a work of genius. I would imagine it would be hilarious live on stage. Thanks Gwil!

      Delete
    2. One Foot in the Grave was my dad's favourite series. I don't know what your dad's laughing at, he's a bit of a Victor Meldrew himself my mum often said. When he died she kept his ashes in the wardrobe and she'd say I can tell him what I think now and he can't answer me back!

      Delete
    3. Just seen your comment Gwil. I often get called Victor. It was a classic comedy series. Your mother's comment about your father made me laugh. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Hi Valerie. I agree there are not a lot of new television comedies and dramas on UK TV at the moment. I seem to be looking at programmes recorded years ago rather than ones today. I use to love Play For Today. We writers need more opportunities don't we?
    Saying that I watched The Voice on ITV the other night and the talent shown by the judges and the contestants was amazing.

    Thanks Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never liked Last of the Summer Wine. I don't know why, never appealed to my sense of humour. I quite liked One Foot in the Grave. I was more of a Likely Lads person!



    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Seconds Out. Round Two.

 I beat the cats 4 2 last night.  But something had been digging in 2 of the parsnips and carrots 🥕 barrels. Thanks for you comments and ad...