Wednesday 1 August 2018

Cucumbers Grown From Lidl Goodness Gang Seed Pots.



Do you remember when I posted a blog about Lidl giving customers a free seed pot every time they spent twenty euros?  Well here are the Cucumbers.  We harvested and ate the first one today!

 A Cucumber resting on an upturned plastic plant pot.  This is to stop it rotting on the ground and hopefully keep the nasty slugs and snails at bay.  You will notice the blue slug pellets sprinkled around the plants.  We found thirty slugs and one snail the other morning.  I think their eggs must live in the soil.  Also the regular watering makes the perfect conditions for snails.
 Cucumbers and Tomatoes growing up bamboo canes with old Budweiser cans placed on top to prevent anybody poking their eyes!  Notice how healthy the plants look.  That's my cow poo and Nettle tea mix.  One pint pot of the plant grog to a full watering can of well water does the trick.  Who needs to buy chemical Tomato food when you have your own organic plant fertilizer?
Our first Cucumber of the season.  It tasted like, Hmm..., Cucumber.  We ate it with a tin of  Chopped Pork and Ham.  Not Spam but a very nice Dinner.  

Anyway well done Lidl for encouraging folk to grow vegetables.  We are really pleased with the results.

Remember  this?


11 comments:

  1. And a beautiful cucumber it is! Hooray for getting it/them free, with your order. Such a thing is a nice, old-fashioned way of doing business. Something like "the baker's dozen" and etc. I happen to like 'old-fashioned.' :-)

    Ahhhh, another poly tunnel! Good for you. Being older, we don't grow veggies any more. But wish, when we did, we had had a poly tunnel.

    Did you ever hear of putting beer in a low enough 'dish,' that slugs can go in and drown? Think people do that, over here....

    And in Greece, they make a meal of those little snails. ,-) Hell of a lot of work, though. Too much for me! ,-)

    Good luck in August,
    A 'Nana'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks wisp of words. I think supermarkets that encourage people to grow their own should be praised.

    I love my polytunnel. I call it my office. It's been raining all day here in Ireland. I spent my day dividing perennials and making cuttings.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we make slug pubs with beer in cans and old jars. But th slug pellets are necessary sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cucumber is looking well Dave. Looks good enough to eat. They have all done well in the poly tunnel. I just watched the Spam Spam Spam and it still makes me smile. I buy Spam. I like Spam and beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel. Don't think we have grown cucumbers before? Most crops and flowers have done well this year, except for our miserable crop of potatoes and the carrots are still small. I see they have found more Holy Grail characters in Mr Palins scripts. The Pythons are the Goons of the nineteen seventies. Some of their stuff goes over me and some of it is absolute hilarious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like cucumber but never ventured into the 'grow your own' fashion. Oh well, it's too late now. Keep on keeping on, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe they originate from India, Valerie. I would go mad living in rural Ireland if I didn't grow plants and vegetables. The veg in the shops are not like freshly picked homegrown ones. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like my cucumber too with the skin removed and liberally sprinkled with black pepper. So please remember that when I pay you a visit Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must try that Heron, thanks. We are looking at different recipes to cope with the glut. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really a beautiful blog.It is very astonishing and marvelous design.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

Growing Parsnips In Big Plant Pots

  I watched a different YouTube video about growing  parsnips the other day.   I cut off the bottoms of some small plastic plant pots and  p...