Monday 21 January 2019

Take Me Home, Country Roads, West Of Bantry".


I went for about an eleven mile walk along the roads yesterday?  It was supposed to be ten miles but I ended up walking up an unknown track.  I did see some nice houses though.  Eh?

I live on the Sheeps Head Peninsula.  This is in County Cork, Ireland.  Its a good place to visit and be in the countryside next to the sea.  Bantry Bay to be precise.  I live on the North side.  Hence the title for my blog.  

You can walk the Sheeps Head Way which is sign posted or you can be like me and walk the roads and boreens in Winter.  Here's some photos I took on my saunter at the weekend.




 The Camelia bush in flower at a former Anglican church.  The church is built on a former ancient church site which was ransacked by the Danes in the ninth Century.  The present day church was built in 1866 following a design by William Atkins.  He also designed Cork Lunatic Asylum!   There were a lot of Cornish miners in the area at the time and it was an overflow church for Durrus church or St James.  My great great grandfather was a miner.  They worked the lead and silver mines.  
 The church closed its doors for the very last  time in the nineteen eighties.  It's been sold a few times since and was an artists studio at one point.  This was the church that my father's parents and their parents went to every week.  I can remember going to the services when we came on holiday.  
 Hungry Hill over on Beara.  Famous for the Puxleys and the novel and film Hungry Hill.  Its also said to be an extinct volcano,  the biggest one in Europe.
 One of the oak Sheeps Head Way finger posts.
 A deserted section of the main road.  Well its deserted while I took the photo.  I like how somebody mowed the verge and cut back the brambles on the stone hedge.  Wish all the roadside verges could be like the one above.  The Irish government could create lots of permanent rural jobs maintaining the road verges.  I met an elderly man picking up litter near here.  Aren't there some wonderful people?

Dunoir carpark.  I turned round at this point and walked the five miles back home.  






A new information board.  It would be a good place for a drinks and grub van ("Daves Dogs"), toilets and even litter bins!  May be a bench  or three?





Beware of livestock.  That's a good one.  I once walked five miles over hill and dale and met a GIANT bull and his wives grazing!  There was no way I was walking (or running) past him.  Oh no!  I had to turn round and walk the five miles back and I kept looking behind me in the process.


Any way.  There are three peninsulas where we live: Mizen, Sheepshead and Beara.  You can visit them any time of the year.  Especially if you walk the roads in Winter!  

I am toying with doing air B and B (or moving to Portugal?) and we have just renovated a two bedroom farmhouse.  Or you could pitch your tent in one of the fields?   I don't really want to rent the farmhouse out full time.  

I could also take you on one of my walks along the Sheeps Head Way or along the Northsider Dave roads and boreens way?  We could go for a pint and I could tell you some of my jokes?  Or sing the Manchester United Country Roads version?  Or just leave you in peace even?

20 comments:

  1. You live in a lovely part of the world, Dave. (Notwithstanding no local pubs nor public transport, but that would not be a problem for me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Philip. There are pubs on ths southside of the peninsula in Durrus, Ahakista and further West in Kilcrohane. Or we can go East to Bantry. There is a Rural Transport bus on a Tuesday and a Thursday. This is is a seventeen mile journey both ways. We live five miles away from town. So I either walk or we go in the car. The school buses could be used to provide public transport for people to go to the pubs and for tourists butthe government wont subsidise this. We can also get taxis but its about ten Euros each way. So we don't have much of a social life. Thanks for your comment Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a long walk Dave, 11 miles. Enjoyed reading and the photos. In summer you might see some tourists on your walk I would imagine. You could advertise your rooms as of interest to walkers, I am sure there would be a demand for them. It is, as Philip said, a lovely part of the world. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rachel. I am just trying to say that the peninsulas are worth visiting all year round. Even if they don't want to walk the mountain tracks and ways. They can still walk the roads. A bit of public transport infrastructure would attract backpackers and benefit the tourist trade all year round. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your report photos Dave. What fine views you have! Today I did a 12 km circular walk but it was pretty icy in places where the sun couldn't reach. OK though, if you watched where you were putting the feet. The Bergfex told me I'd used 985 calories. But it didn't know I was carrying a 2 lb training weight in each hand. Computers don't know everything ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you enjoyed the photos and post Gwil. The views are mighty on a fine day like yesterday. They aren't so good tonight. 12 km on a icy day is very impressive. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! We lived in Co. Cork, Glanmire, in mid-1980s. We owned and operated Vienna Woods Hotel (which is now owned by Fitzgerald Hotel inc.)
    While there we spent 5 days in Castletownshend and roamed about. We definitely went along Beara and Bantry.

    We are planning to visit again in 2020s (if we can get our crew together). We'll relive our trek.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a small world Susan. I have heard of the Vienna Woods Hotel.

    I know Castletownsend. The author Edith Somerville lived there.

    Have you read: At the edge of Ireland: seasons on the Beara Peninsula by David Yeadon? Its a wonderful book.

    Enjoy your Ireland trek next year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read that. Will look it up! Glad you have heard of Vienna Woods Hotel. It was quite an adventure living there. Our children (4, 6, and 10) then remember that time well.

      Delete
    2. Hi Susan, I can see the Vienna Woods from my kitchen window. I never knew there was a Vienna Woods Hotel in the Emerald Isle. Why was it so-called?

      Delete
  9. You will enjoy the book Susan. You must have lots of tales and anecdotes from your time at the hotel? It does sound an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got me singing Country Roads again, Dave. I do enjoy reading about good old Ireland. I had a friend who came from Co Cork - he upped sticks and moved to New York.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Country Roads is a classic John Denver song Valerie. I am glad you enjoyed the post. I get intoxicated with the scenery at times. Where abouts in Co Cork did your friend come from? We can see snow over on Beara this morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re Co Cork, I only knew that the friend came from there.... no details of locality.

      Delete
    2. I was just curious Valerie.

      Delete
  12. Me again. Ben Fogle: New Lives In The Wild. Tonight at 9.00pm. Ben visits Judith who lives in Donegal and she's off grid. Sounds like my kind of television viewing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We once rented a cottage in Sneem when the kids were younger and we travelled all over your beautiful part of the world Dave. My Ma is from Cork and the tales of her childhood mean so much. Thanks for the photos...and keep walking...it helps in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Libby. I know Sneem on the ring of Kerry. Theres a great cake shop there that bakes and sells a great beef and Guinness pie. I believe Bertie Ahern often holidays in Sneem. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suffering from herpes is a Terrible Experience which i suffered till i meet a herbal doctor called Dr. KHAM. I tried all possible mean to get cured but i never received cure from any of the 7 hospital i visited.Just Match,14,2018 i saw a recent post of how Dr. Kham herbal medicine cured people and that he is a honest man to work with in the procedures on finding a cure, then i contacted him in trial and he sent me a herbal medicine with the full prescription oh how to drink for two weeks and i exactly followed the guidelines that was given to me by DR. KHAM to cute the long story short the herbal medicine flushed out my whole system and make the herpes virus inactive all thanks to Dr. Kham who God is using to cure people of this terrible virus (herpes simplex virus) for anyone here that has herpes or other kinds of disease and Virus should mail all his or her complain to DR. KHAM on his email which is (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com) or whats app him on +2348159922297 

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete

Seconds Out. Round Two.

 I beat the cats 4 2 last night.  But something had been digging in 2 of the parsnips and carrots 🥕 barrels. Thanks for you comments and ad...