Friday 25 January 2019

"Water And Ground In Their Extremity!"



Some more picture from another one of my walks around the Sheeps Head Peninsula.  The title of the blog is a line from Seamus Heney's poem: The Peninsula.  Seamus recommends that you drive, I would say walk.

It was a grey day with leaden skies when I set off on Tuesday morn.  Once I had navigated the main road and the cars whizzing past me.  I walked up through Gearhies and up Glanlough.  This is very hilly and I was wearing my 'rainy day' waterproofs.  I think I may have invented a portable sauna!

At the top of Moulamill.  I took the following photographs.  In the distance is Mizen peninsula.  The water is Dunmanus Bay on the south side of the Sheeps Head Peninsula.




I love this boreen and often think of times gone by when donkeys trod this road laden with baskets of furze and turf for the fires.  It takes you over to Ahakista.  There are a couple of pubs there and you can carry on West to Kilcrohane or turn left like I did and follow the track to Kealties and along the road next to Dunmanus bay on to Durrus.  I stopped at my  brothers house and the wife called over with tablets for him and gave me a lift back in the car.  
An innovative fence post!  It's actually an old car axle.  Who needs to buy fence posts when there are scrap cars?

Hope you enjoyed the nine mile walk.  I have walked twenty nine miles ish this week.  Perhaps I was a dog in another life?

Are you going for a walk in the countryside this weekend?

Here's the Seamus Heaney poem: The Peninsula.  A bit of culture for you!




16 comments:

  1. Just give the video a few seconds to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your walk Dave. You have certainly covered some miles this week. Great views where you live. Do they inspire you to write something down yourself, prose or poetry? I enjoyed the Heaney poem, he always found words. Thanks for sharing. The fence post reminded me of the farm. My family did things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rachel. Yes I love walking. I wish I could paint. I wrote a first draft for a book about the peninsula. But I am not happy with it really and it needs another draft. There's lot of humour (my favourite writing genre) in it and perhaps it may get published one day? You have got to make do and mend on a farm. Thanks Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you watching the match tonight? I think it could be a cracker. It should be the cup final not the fourth round. Wish Degea was playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will be watching. Both teams have something 'new' to make me want to see them and how they are playing.

      Delete
  5. I think both teams are trying to play attractive and attacking football. I worry about the United defence. But I am sure they will give Ole the cash to buy a couple of world class defenders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is such a joy reading about your walks in West Cork and especially around Sheeps Head. Many years ago when we lived in Cork and had a small baby, this was our holiday destination, our get away paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sabine. I am so pleased you enjoy reading about my walk on and around the Sheeps Head. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too enjoy reading about your walks, and wishing I was able to return to said activity. I remember my walks in Co Antrim even though that was 67 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Valerie. I would love to read about your Antrim walks. Any chance of you writing about them on your blog -please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I can, Dave. It was too long ago to get any accuracy. I remember more about kitchens and policemen...lol.

      Delete
    2. Not to worry. I have never been higher than County Mayo. Yet more places to visit on my yet to do list.

      Delete
  10. Either Heaney has lost his voice or my ears are blocked up.

    Keep up the good walking! I'm going for a long march tomorrow the first sunny weather day for a good while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok Seamus ,-) I've found a copy to read.

      Delete
  11. Hi Gwil. Sorry the sound wasn't good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wet and very very windy. I am hoping to go for an eight mile walk tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Parsnip Seeds Germination In The Kitchen.

Parsnips seeds placed on a very damp piece of kitchen roll in a plastic tupperware tub. Then I cut ✂️ another piece of kitchen roll and satu...