Tuesday 21 February 2023

Clearing A Veg Plot With My Homemade Azada.

 The homemade Azada and myself have been busy the last few days.  

I cleared a overgrown rockery the other day and  I cleared the weeds on a veg plot, emptied compost heaps and spread it all over the veg plot and dug it over.

The owners had taken my advice and covered part of the plot with builders plastic.  Plastic for once is useful for suppressing pernicious weeds and grass and blocking out the light to prevent weed seed germination and it also warms the soil.

They have the nicest and most friable soil I have ever worked with.  They have never used chemicals on their plot and I won't/don't either. They just added poultry manure and garden waste to the compost bins and spread them over the soil surface.  

A cheeky Robin rooted for worms and no doubt the soil loves the anaerobic bacteria and good soil additives.  I am sure Robins were gardeners in another life.

"I was happy to get another booking so soon after Christmas."  That's a Billy Pearce joke.

Here's a photo of my work for your perusal.



Even a veg plot with nothing in it looks attractive when it's dug over and Robin friendly.

Have you made money with one of your homemade tools?  

Any one want a cheap gardener?  Digging and weeding and planting a speciality.  Jokes come for free.



14 comments:

  1. When can you start? Free coffee is available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have coffee at home Judith I mean JayCee😊.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, JC, he's coming here first! I'll even find some of that brown lager you love. And eat all you want!!
    You'll love our garden. Theres so much potential ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Work/holiday exchange? I also do barter? I once worked for a week reclaiming a jungle and the owners gave us a car for my work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have just finished the digging and mulching - you could have offered sooner. Mind you South Coast England can't compete with Poros. Are you growing veg for you in that plot or just clearing it for others to grow veg in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love working on my own Tigger with a Robin watching. I just prepared the veg plot for an elderly couple to cultivate their fantastic soil.

      Delete
  6. Digging that would do my back in. My local RAC man tells me he is branching out into gardening, he doesn't want to repair cars forever. I think I will be calling him when my lawns and hedges become unmanageable. Good luck with finding more bookings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Meanqueen. I would love a parttime hotel gardener position. Perennials and vegetables are my passion and reclaiming overgrown gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did my first comment go to Spam or did you bury it in the vegetable plot with your azada?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't find your first comment YP. I thought you bought Spam in a tin: "Lovely Spam"...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reclaiming overgrown gardens - just caught my eye ;)
    Could you barter your way down to Sussex? Our garden used to be orchards, now long gone, apart from our ancient Bramley tree. The tree was attended to last year but the rest has got away :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anonymous. I visited Kent and Sussex (Rye) last August. What a beautiful part of the world. I am sure you will find an old fashioned herbaceous perennials type of gardener if you place an advert in your local newspaper. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That beautiful dark brown earth looks exactly like what I had in a huge backyard many years ago, a place I had to leave because that is where we were living when the husband packed up and left and I couldn't manage the rent as well as all the utilities on my own. When I think about it now, I could have asked the kids to help out, three of them were already working. One side of the backyard was vegetable beds while the other was fruit trees and grapevines, while across the yard at the bottom end was an old chook run with the fencing and shed still in place. We used the shed to grow mushrooms in boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi River. Like I said above. I have never worked such lovely and friable fertile soil. It's probably a combination of good drainage and year after year application of adding poultry manure/compost that makes such a wonderful growing medium. Your old place sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete

Growing Parsnips In Big Plant Pots

  I watched a different YouTube video about growing  parsnips the other day.   I cut off the bottoms of some small plastic plant pots and  p...