Thursday 9 February 2023

Perennials Planting In My Potager.

 

I started planted some of my homegrown perennials in the veg plot this week.  I am trying to make it look attractive but also functional and productive 

I planted Bergenias (Elephants Ears) or " Pig Squeak".  They make a squeaking sound if you rub their leaves 

Originally from China and Siberia they are tough and the salty rains living in the countryside next to the sea doesn't  seem to bother them.

That great English plants woman Gertrude Jekyll used to plant them to form edges in her herbaceous perennials gardens.  I am more of a patchwork quilt/cottage garden type of gardener.  Where plants embroider themselves in the vista or pallete that is my garden picture and the soil is the canvas.

I also transplanted an hydrangea shrub.  They love the acidic and peaty Irish soils rather like the Azaleas and Rhododendrons.

Any road.  Sorry for another garden related post.  But I think I have got my plant obsession back.

Do you plant flowers and perennials in your veg plot?

Apparently the word Potager comes from the French word Potage which I believe is soup.  So in a Potager you will find all the soup vegetables ingredients that you need.  You will also find some perennials in mine!

10 comments:

  1. GO that man. F plants edible flowers around and through her veg plot (calendula & nasturtiums in particular). It adds to the colour and can only help the health of the plot (and possibly be a bit of companion planting for managing bugs that eat the vegetables).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Tigger. I am goingto plant my Shasta Daisies and get some Calendula and Poppies to attract beneficial insects..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you planted your slug eggs yet? Bob Flowerdew reckons there'll be a bumper crop of slugs this year as long as we keep feeding them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gonna get slugs and snails in a Potager YP. We will have to go put with our torches and catch the blighters and feed them to our ducks and hens. Spreading seaweed around Brassicas is said to be a good deterrent and they don't like the salt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will look lovely when all the things in there get growing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of the Bergenias are flowering already River. It looks like we could have a very early Spring this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never thought to do both in the same plot. I read along with your post, and I wondered why it had never occurred to me. I am glad that your gardening mojo has returned in full force. The covid years seemed to take a toll on your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Often sunflowers and sweet peas! We don't have flower beds anywhere else, just beds with shrubs and roses, so It's nice to have some colour in amongst the veg. Must get started soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Google French Potagers Debby. The dryish weather of late makes me want to get back in the veg plot. Flowers attract beneficial insects like Bees pollinate the plants and vegetable flowers. It's also makes the veg plot attractive to the eye. You can also use it for a plant nursery and grow things on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunflowers and sweet peas are beautiful the veg artist. I wish you had a blog and we could see your veg paintings and gardens.

    ReplyDelete

Protecting The Parsnips And Carrot Seedlings From Cats.

  Cats 🐈 😻 have been digging where we sowed the pregerminated parsnips and carrots 🥕  last week. I have talked to the likes of Domino, Ti...