Sunday 27 October 2024

Autumn Evenings.

"Home sweet home."
 
I paid ten Euros for the blue coffee table at a carboot sale.  A bargain.

Stove lit and stocked up with wooden off cuts.  Please note the Pig Finisher bag is full of wood off cuts and not my supper.

It's going to be a long winter.  

Oh to live where there are street lights in a village.  Instead we have six or seven months of pitch black darkness from now until the clocks go back in Spring.

Why do towns and villages get the services like public transport, free mains water and sewerage (in Ireland it is!), mobile libraries, bottle and can banks, post boxes, shops and pubs and...?  Should I go on?

Why do the clocks go back?  We are not WW1 ammunition workers.  Why don't they just leave the clocks alone?

At least my mobile phone automatically changes the time for me.  I still haven't changed our front room clock.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the clocks (I find the change in autumn easier to deal with than the one in spring, though). I still have several clocks that have to be adjusted manually - and usually forget at least one. (If I did this time as well, I still haven't discovered it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Dawn Treader. I never understand what they achieve changing the clocks. After Christmas the days seem to stretch without any help from our clocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went around the house last night changing all the clocks but I still forgot the one on the oven. It is definitely dark, cold and wet right now. Central heating is on. Damn the expense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No central heating on here yet JayCee. I don't even know how much heating oil we have left or how much it is at the moment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greece keeps on saying they won't change the time but here we go again. Leave it alone. What are the advantages really. Early nights from now on. Darn them

    ReplyDelete
  6. The nights come sooner in rural areas Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dislike these cold, dark evenings. Some days, when I'm working, I hardly get to see daylight, at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree Jules. Tonight I feel like I have forgot what these long autumn /winter are. Imagine what it was like before electricity?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We only have a couple of clocks to change, all the others are automatic, I do love the dark evenings, curtains closed and heating on, we do live in a village with all the things you list. Marlene, poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds wonderful Marlene. Not too big a village but all the facilities and amenities of 21st century living.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn Evenings.

"Home sweet home."   I paid ten Euros for the blue coffee table at a carboot sale.  A bargain. Stove lit and stocked up with woode...