Sunday 6 October 2024

The Veg Raised Beds Worked In The Deluge!

 We had very heavy rain in West Cork on Saturday. 48 Millimetres in 16 hours to be precise!

I reluctantly late morning ventured outside to get some vegetable leaves to feed the rabbits.

A lot of the veg plot was under water but my raised beds and vegetables were non plussed with the biblical deluge.

Here's photos of them taken on a much drier day:

Ex central heating oil tanks repurposed into plastic raised beds.  They will last us out.
"Me and my shadow".

You can see some of my repurposed plastic baths and oil tanks.  We cut the tanks in half and I drilled holes and filled them with fym and my homemade compost.  

We also have wood raised beds made out of some old decking planks.

My raised beds made from planks and from old oil tanks cost me nothing.  I bought the damaged baths very cheaply from a local builders merchants over ten years ago.  I think they virtually gave them me to take them away in fact.

More raised beds.  The white ones are IBC tanks cut in two and drilled for drainage holes.


I honestly believe raised beds are the way to go with our recent very wet Autumn, Spring and Winters.

There is not so much to weed and you are cultivating a couple of feet off the ground.

Are you thinking of getting or making some raised vegetable beds?

Are you a Womble vegetable gardener like me?😃


4 comments:

  1. P is definitely a Womble gardener. He uses all kinds of scrap to make things, some of it not very pretty!
    We escaped the heavy rain yesterday but it is wet here today and set to last the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please show us some pictures of P's Womble garden JayCee. My beds are not very aesthetically pleasing on the eye but they are very functional and practical and maintenance free. It was biblical floods here yesterday. Dry at the moment. I lit the stove early in the afternoon yesterday.

      Delete
  2. I do love my raised beds, we used our decking planks, they were only a couple years old, we lined the inside with plastic to protect the wood, I have another raised bed again with decking planks, it's years old and still looks good. I find growing in raised beds are better for my back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely easier on the back Marlene and I keep topping them up with well rotted fym. Good also for drainage and you have less to weed.

    ReplyDelete

The Veg Raised Beds Worked In The Deluge!

 We had very heavy rain in West Cork on Saturday. 48 Millimetres in 16 hours to be precise! I reluctantly late morning ventured outside to g...