Monday 21 October 2024

Mulching With Leek And Dock Leaves.

Japanese Onions mulched with Docks and Leek leaves today.

I have been thinking.  "Oh no!"

I will have to have a lie down.

One likes to experiment with different mulches in the veg garden.  Previously I have used, grass, hay and straw and fym to mulch the beds.

Today I experimented by using dock leaves and leek leaves.

Rather like how trees in forests shed their leaves and blacket the ground and keep it warm and provide plant and tree food.

I thinks it is Mother Nature composting.

Hopefully the worms and anaerobic bacteria will take the mulches into the garden soil and 
 provide plant food for the vegetables?  The leaves should also suppress any weed growth.

There are not many falling leaves near me.  I might go bagging leaves in a woods this Bank Holiday weekend?  Only Ireland could have a Bank Holiday werkend in October?

Anyone else use weeds or leaves for mulching?

Anyone got any leaves they don't want?  I will give them a good home and compost and mulch my veggies with them.

Don't take your leaves to the tip use them for a mulch or compost them.

 


2 comments:

  1. We have a veritable mountain of fallen leaves right now. Every day we have to scoop them all out of the front porch so that we can get out of the house! We put them all into a pile, held together by a wire mesh screen, beside the compost bins then use them to mulch around the new plants and our baby saplings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veritable mountain sounds much better than a pile of leaves JayCee. Wish I could get my hands on some. I would bag them up or cover them with plastic sheeting. You will be able to make your own potting compost with J and P's leaf mould. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Mulching With Leek And Dock Leaves.

Japanese Onions mulched with Docks and Leek leaves today. I have been thinking.  "Oh no!" I will have to have a lie down. One like...