Monday 7 October 2024

Medieval Buttevant And Napoleons and Wellington's Horses Marengo and Copenhagen.

 We stopped at Buttevant a couple of weeks ago.  It's a very old town that goes back to Norman times.

It's half way between Cork city and Limerick.  If I see an old castle or Abbey or church or fortified house.  I just have to go and have a look.

Cahirmee horse fair is held here every year.  This fair goes back to ancient times.  Both Wellington's and Napoleon's horses were purchased at Cahirmee.

Here's some photos of the town:








Quintessentially quaint rural Irish pub.
Modern art.

Ancient Norman named who ruled around here.  There's Barry's Tea company in Cork.  My grandparents favourite tea. I wonder if the Barry clan founded Barry's Tea?


A kind man was just about to park his car in front of the mural and he saw me taking a picture and he stopped and waited while I took it. I put up hand to wave and thank him and he did the same.


Ancient dove cote.


Ireland is so full of ancient history.  All you have to do is explore.  I liked Buttevant.  Hope you did?


8 comments:

  1. Another lovely place to explore and so full of history. You live in a most interesting area

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda. Ireland is full of history and some of the buildings were built in the 12th Century. The best thing about them is you can see and read the tourist information signs about them for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very atmospheric. I like walking around such places, imagining the people who lived and worked there so many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely very atmospheric JayCee. If those ancient buildings walls could speak? I wonder if they are haunted? What famous people of the past have walked there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I did indeed like the excursion to Buttevant Dave. I had never heard of the place. Thanks for taking us there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks YP. I have just been reading about the battle of Knocknanuss in County Cork. The bones of some of the soldiers are interred in the Priory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love these little glimpses. When my son and daughter-in-law drove through Ireland, they were just amazed at all the castle ruins. Telling me about it, they said, "They were everywhere!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. They were right Debby. There are ancient places every where here in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete

More Hedging Cuttings.

 I gave a Laurel hedge a good cutting back last week. Of course I saved some of the trimmings to make hedge cuttings.  There are over twenty...